Google Services battery drain.Support

1. lightsleeper23

lightsleeper23 Well-Known Member

After google pushed the "google settings" app icon to my device, I now have severe battery drain from google services. My gf also had the app pushed to her phone, but does not have this problem. The image shows the google services, with the puzzle piece icon used by google play services, draining the vast majority of my battery. So I tried disabling google play services, but this made no difference. What in holy hell is going on here, and what on earth has google done? They've totally screwed up my tablet!

Attached Files:

Advertisement
    :
  2. lightsleeper23

Also now my Google now doesn't work anymore. I've restarted several times. Wiped data, even removed google account and re synched it. But when I open google now it's just a blank white page with a loading symbol, which never loads.
  3. lightsleeper23

Well I got my google now working at least. After a factory reset.
  4. JRJ

JRJ Well-Known Member

Both my wife and I are having the same issue with google services on our Nexus 7's but not quite as bad as you are for us it is using closer to 40% a day where as before it was close to nothing at all. Also both our phones had the update pushed to them but with no problems at all.
  5. androidpod

androidpod Well-Known Member Contributor

My Nexus 7 updated smoothly, with no problems afterwards.

Can either of you include more specifics as to the problems you're experiencing?
  6. lightsleeper23

Can't be more specific. After the google settings app was pushed, google services started draining a ton of battery, like the screenshot shows.

I did another factory reset, and it seems to have stabilized now. Just sucks, I lost a lot of stuff that was saved to memory.
  7. jjrx3

jjrx3 Well-Known Member

what apps are you running? google apps i mean and how long.

I've used the play store and youtube but haven't experienced anything like you have. the app doesnt show any usage.
  8. lightsleeper23

The only Google apps I ever use are YouTube once in a while and gmail. Of course the play store but I wasn't using ANYTHING during the drain in that particular screen shot. It was overnight while I slept. I usually get 8 to 10 hours overnight and have either 100% or 99% in the morning, with tablet idle at the top of the battery screen.

I really think when they pushed the Google settings app something about the N7 kept Google active in the background draining battery. It took 2 factory resets to get it to stop.

My phone has also gotten the update yesterday and I've seen no issue on it.
  9. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

As a total shot in the dark, are you using Google+? At some point it was a real pig for battery life. When I heard that I just logged out when I was finished using it. Can't remember what it show up as in battery usage. If it's a separate entry then never mind.
  10. lightsleeper23

No, I don't use Google plus.
  11. JRJ

JRJ Well-Known Member

I think it is being caused by the Google Wallet app. I cleared Google Wallets's data and disabled the app and the problem went away for both me and my wife.
  12. balloonshark

balloonshark Well-Known Member

How are you disabling an app? Are you just killing the service or process?

I'm having a horrible time with google crap causing my screen to get jerky. I kill the service or process and they keep popping up. I'm thinking it is the Music artdownloadservice that is causing the issue. It starts and stops constantly. I rarely use google's stuff and the music on the device is all mine except for what came preloaded.
  13. JRJ

JRJ Well-Known Member

Go to settings them into apps and select the app that you want to disable and then select clear data and then select disable. The app should now be disabled.
    balloonshark likes this.
  14. lightsleeper23

Hmm, I didn't think of that. I never even touched it. Disabled a couple other Google things, it didn't help, so I factory reset and it stopped now. Whew, it really had me worried for a couple days. Especially since I'm planning on getting the Nexus 4 soon, and I'm glad Google isn't screwing the battery.