1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Google Services? Battery drain!?Support

1. Smokey Joe

Smokey Joe Well-Known Member

How can I eliminate this "Google Services" battery drain??? It didn't start doing this until a few days ago and it is getting worse and worse!!
    Screenshot_2013-08-06-23-50-05.jpg

Advertisement
    :
  2. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm now noticing a recent change showing similar drain. But yet I make so many changes that it's hard to know if it's simply this app causing the drain or any of the myriad changes/tweaks. I suppose in one way, all the choices that Android provides is also a weakness of the system... and yet, a strength too. ;)

I was down to 28% this morning when I plugged in the charger:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, the first two shots are done by hand swipe. The last shot had to be done by the power button/home button trick. A hand swipe reverted to the prior screen everytime.
  3. jamsterdm

jamsterdm Well-Known Member

Go to androidpolice.com and download the latest play store apk, seems to solve it....
  4. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

Thanks. I just updated from 4.1.6 to 4.3.10. We'll see if I can leave my phone alone for a while and see if this update changes anything.

Download: Latest Google Play Store 4.3.10 With New 'Recently Updated' Section, Combined Update Notifications, And More [Teardown]

Edit: for anyone reading this new to installing apk files, navigate to the above link either by phone or pc. If by pc, email the link to your phone. Then open the link. It will self-install.

But first: go to system settings/more/security, scroll down to Unknown sources and check the box. Do this before you open the link.
  5. SebaKL

SebaKL Well-Known Member

Just for you info, Google Services consist of multiple services, such as:
    Google Contacts Sync
    Google Bookmarks Sync
    Google Account Manager
    Google Services Framework
    Google Play Services
    Network Location (location reporting, location history, location sharing)

As pointed out in earlier reply, PLAY (4.1.6 version) has been reported to cause battery drain, and the recent update, which is rolling out as we speak, supposed to fix that. That however, was effecting smaller group of people, which I believe is part of a combo of telco and OTA updates.

The other notorious service, behind battery drain is "Network Location service". Beside screen, that's probably second most battery consuming background process, which is responsible for location sharing, history and reporting, for various apps, not just google. If updating the PLAY didn't improve the battery life, you might want to disable location sharing and history for apps, which you don't need to use it with. Like Facebook, G+, Maps, Instagram, and whatever app you can find, that allow such setting change.

This should result in (almost) immediate results. Also, if you are not using Google Now, turn it off. Now is a decent battery hog.