• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "Google Services" power hungry since Android 6.0 update

smitty543

Android Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2011
Since my phone updated to Android 6.0, "Google Services" has been using approximately 20% of battery (GSam Battery Monitor) even when phone not used. I thought that 6.0 was supposed to provide improved battery life. Any thoughts about what may be going on here?? [Stock HTC M8 phone on Sprint; Google Play Services 8.7.03]

Last edited:
Since my phone updated to Android 6.0, "Google Services" has been using approximately 20% of battery (GSam Battery Monitor) even when phone not used. I thought that 6.0 was supposed to provide improved battery life. Any thoughts about what may be going on here?? [Stock HTC M8 phone on Sprint; Google Play Services 8.7.03]
uploadfromtaptalk1459125922969.png
I'm not stock but honestly there shouldn't be any difference

Upvote 0
This may push me to getting an iPhone if I have to be concerned that after installing "approved" updates I have to do a factory reset with the resultant need to rebuild the phone. How can that be? Is this a flaw with Android that everyone accepts, or is there a different problem?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion for the "fix". Why would designers create something 'positive' that has to be wiped clean [factory reset] and then rebuilt to maintain proper functionality. Seems to be inherent faulty logic in the design process - to improve something should BUILD on it already proper functionality. At least, should be able to make a copy of the existing state of the phone to permit a quick [and painless] rebuild after a factory reset WITHOUT the need to ROOT the phone to do so.

Upvote 0
'Google Play Services' still using 15 - 30% of battery. I tried to turn off auto-updating as best I could. I am VERY reluctant to wipe the phone and rebuild the phone apps and their data! Sad that when you try to maintain up to date software, 'they' recommend wiping the phone for it to function properly without the capability of having an image of the phone to use for rebuilding (unless the phone is rooted from the start!).

Any recommendations to get Google Play Services to play nice. (Tried to contact Google but no help there!)

Upvote 0
I've never had an issue with doing a factory reset after a major OS upgrade. I have wifi at home so I just redownloading my apps, turn sync on so my calendar and contacts resync and I'm off and running. I usually wait til later in the evening to do it when I don't "need" my device and have at it.

I only have 15 to 20 non pre-installed apps on any of my devices so it goes pretty quick.

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
What/how Backup so everything is back to "The way it was" before the factory reset? What login? Sorry for so many questions, but I want to get it right. (Guess I am saying I need a "cookbook" to lead me through the process.)
Just what I said..... Most apps you can just sign back in (assuming their is a login) and go. Their are apps that you may lose some data on but I can't think of any to where it would be a terrible inconvenience.

If you tell me what apps you are worried about, maybe I can help you.

Reactions: smitty543
Upvote 0
Help; is there nothing to do but a 'factory reset'?? Certainly the 'Android powers to be'/'brain trust' has a less draconian approach to get phones back to "behaving' such that 'Google Play Services' uses less than 20-25+% of battery!

Seems strange that after updating to new OS 6.01 there is need to perform factory reset - is there an inherent flaw in the Android OS that causes phones to have problems!

HELP!!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones