• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google services problem

Yatezy

Android Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2012
Got a strange problem regarding my service. I'm using a Int S3 on OmniROM Kitkat. My signal bars for both wifi and data are orange. From reading around I've gathered it means I'm not connected to Google and it's severs.

My Internet works fine through both of them, I've had it in the past where the bars have been orange for a minute or two (like after a reboot) and had no Internet then turned white. But in this scenario they stay orange but are allowing me to connect to Internet services.

I'm getting absolutely zero notifications from most of my apps (as expected) apart from a couple (WhatsApp plus, talon for twitter although this is manually pulling, email and Gmail seem fine) so I'm a little confused tbh.

Happened about a week ago, updated my rom (dirty flash) and nothing has changed. Any suggestions?

For extra info I'm using boeffla kernel and have a couple of apps that use root. Main ones I imagine that could cause this problem are Xposed, Root Call Blocker and maybe Greenify (hibernating Google services) but I've deleted all these and tried without them and nothing.

Plus I had them all before the problem started.

Upvote 0
Let me try and understand ... you had Google Services disabled? (hibernated) And when you removed that setting in Greenify, you couldn't connect with Google even though you had an active data connection?

I think what may have happened is what happens when you clear data for Google Services Framework.

According to Dan Morrill from Google:
Doing this changes the primary ID by which Google knows your device. As far as the servers are concerned, the device was basically factory reset. There are many downstream effects of this, but a big one is that this invalidates the tokens used by any app that uses GCM (which is nearly all the Google apps, and a ton of third-party apps.)
How apps react to GCM IDs changing varies by app. With Play Store you have to log out and log back in, I think Gmail usually handles it transparently eventually but won't get new mail notifications for a while, etc. Some apps you may have to clear data on to recover. All apps will simply stop getting GCM push-messages, until they get a new GCM ID; some do this frequently, others rarely, and some apps use the GCM ID as an ID on their own servers (as it is opaque and basically random), so other things besides push messages may not work.

Try logging out of your Google account and then log back in. It might clean up the connections. And you might have to do this with all your accounts that aren't connecting.

Reactions: Yatezy
Upvote 0
Let me try and understand ... you had Google Services disabled? (hibernated) And when you removed that setting in Greenify, you couldn't connect with Google even though you had an active data connection?

Just to clear this up aswell, I had it greenified before the connection failed. I degreenified it today and rebooted to see if it would work but nothing changed.

What I'll try is degreenifying anything Google related, signing out of my Google account and then signing back in. See how that goes :thumb:

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Hmmm nothing so far. Cleared what Google services I had in Greenify, removed my Google account and readded it, rebooted and still got nothing.

Booted into safe mode and was the same case :thinking:

Could the GApps I'm using be a cause? I'm starting to think I may need to completely Wipe it clean and start over, which I was trying to avoid tbh.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones