1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Google Services - WTF?!Support

1. lavellep

lavellep Well-Known Member

Please see attached screenshots. This is absolutely doing my head in. It's always draining my battery but others I know don't have it show up at all.

I'm trying to avoid doing a factory restart add it took me ages to set this phone up from scratch.

Google doesn't seem to be able to provide me with a concrete answer and I don't want to disable Google sync if I can help it because then my push Gmail will stop working and I kind of need that.

Please help. Before I end up self harming or throw this beautiful phone out of the window and under a bus!

:mad:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files:

Advertisement
    :
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Are you logged into Google Talk? That seems to be the cause of most of the wakelocks.
  3. lavellep

I am. How do I log out of it and doesn't that also stop Google Play purchases from working? I thought there was some link between the two?
  4. Slug

Open Talk, and select "Sign Out" from the menu.

No, you can log out of Talk without affecting other Google services.
  5. lavellep

Actually, on close inspection I wasn't even signed in to talk
  6. TrustSerenity

TrustSerenity Well-Known Member

What I see my screen uses up a lot of my battery. I have the brightness turned down almost all the way but it's still using a lot.
  7. Pappy35

Pappy35 Well-Known Member

That usage only works out to a couple of percent per hour. I average about 5% per hour with 3-4 hours of screen usage. I guess I don't see the problem.

PS - I obsess about things like this too but in the end as long as it's not causing a battery endurance issue (my S3 was really bad at 7-8% per hour) I don't think it's worth worrying about.
  8. Slug

Look at the wakelocks associated with Google Services.
  9. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Well-Known Member

So how many hours total are you getting out of the battery with this issue? And then how many hours are the rest of you getting?
  10. Pappy35

Yeah I saw that.

I was pointing out what I discovered for myself: After spending months obsessively checking wakelocks, app useage, and all manner of things, the bottom line basically becomes how much power does the phone use per hour and does this yield a solid day of useage with some margin?

My S3 would, on average, burn about 6% per hour yielding about 16 hours. My S4 does 4% per hour on average (same locations hence cellular signal stregnth, same usage, etc).

My point is that as long as you're getting good battery life for what you need these things don't really matter. I was driving myself nuts trying to micro-manage my phone so now I just let it do whatever it wants since it works better than my S3 (which was good).
  11. Pappy35

For me, cellular coverage at work vs. home causes a lot of variation.

S3
    Work: 6%-7% per hour (14 to 16 hours)
    Home: 3%-5% per hour (20 to 33 hours)

S4
    Work: 4%-5% per hour (20 to 25 hours)
    Home: 3%-3.5% per hour (29 to 33 hours)

The S4 is a great improvement of the S3 with respect to battery life.
  12. radnor

radnor New Member

I've found that turning off "Use wireless networks" in Location Services removes most, if not all, of these NetworkLocationLocator wakelocks from Google Services.

As to what's using them I'm not sure yet. It's either Google Now or maybe a weather widget that's continuously updating my location.