Google Shopper - works on 1.5Support

Last Updated:

1. decalex

decalex Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm posting this in here because we don't get to use Google Goggles on 1.5
    Google just released (although it seems a little redundant) Google Shopper

I've tried it out a bit and it seems pretty cool-- curious what ppl think compared to ShopSavvy, the Amazon App, or any others.

Link to article on Google mobile Blog

Advertisement
  2. momentoid

momentoid Well-Known Member

In Shopper, by Google, the Voice Search did not work. The error message is "Sorry, Google Voice Search is not installed on this device". Image search did not work either. When tried it tries to do something but reverts back to the main screen without any error message. Both ShopSavvy and CNET Scan & Shop work well.

3. decalex

ya, the voice search didn't work for me either-- I think that's a 1.5 issue. But the image search worked well-- better than shopsavvy for me, so far. Do you have a 3rd party camera app installed?

4. momentoid

Uninstalled SnapPhoto Free, the only 3rd party camera app that was installed. Image search in Shopper still failed. Have Sweeter Home 2 Beta for home replacement. May be that is affecting it. Will uninstall SH2 and try in the next few days. Will let you know. FYI, ShopSavvy and CNET Scan & Shop work well with SnapPhoto Free and SH2 Beta.

5. decalex

honestly, google shopper isn't mind blowing so far... so, unless you're just up for a challenge, I wouldn't trouble shoot it to death. :)

6. momentoid

Thanks. :) Just glad it did not Force Close, latest version of Google Voice does on power-up. Add another app to the list that need Android 2.x. ;)

7. meangene

meangene Well-Known Member

There's also an app called CNET Scan & Shop that recognizes UPC codes and compares prices with it's online database.

8. decalex

Man, I've been moving the past couple of days, and between craigslisting stuff, and buying other new stuff, I've really gotten to further test out these apps.

I was using the Amazon product search app that lets you take a pic of an object, then it's supposed to find it and, within a few mins, emails u a match and price. It works well with barcodes and 2-dimensional things (like a book cover or baseball card). Lots of wrong matches, otherwise-- not to mention false hope when you get an email that says they've found a match.

Pretty much the same deal with Google Shopper- was much faster and a little more accurate. Didn't give me any false matches, though.

ShopSavvy has definitely been the most useful for finding local products (since it utilizes gps). I scanned a barcode at bestbuy, and saw it was cheaper down the street at Staples. Stoked.

I've heard that Google Shopper is getting some kind of 'local' integration fairly soon- looking fwd to that.

9. zcarman

zcarman Well-Known Member

Don't you love that Voice force closes on launch, but opens just fine post-launch? Isn't this a "Google Phone" that should work with "Google Software"?

lol :D

10. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

Its a "Samsung Phone" first, if it was a "Google Phone" it would be running 2.1 already. ;)

11. SmokinPiff

SmokinPiff Banned

anybody else had/has google shopper pop up in the background even when they weren't using it? it kept popping up for me everytime I got a text. it was annoying so I uninstalled it... it was a useless program anyway.

12. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

i thought samsung didn't install google voice on the phone because they opted to use their voice recognition software instead, whatever loads up when you press the voice dial button. will actual google voice be on in 2.1?

13. momentoid

Another version of Google Voice (w/ location based service) available but not for Android 1.5: Android quick-app: Google Voice Locations | Android Central

On topic, a new version of Barcode Scanner app is released with Google Shopper integration. Works on my device.