Google Sky Map alike to "see" continental coast ?

1. huotg01

huotg01 Member

I was on a sea cruise recently.

I'm not very good in identifying the stars in the sky, but it was possible to use Google Sky Map on my Galaxy Note to identify what was on the sky "around" me.

Sometimes I was close to the european coast, and not beeing better with geography that I am with the sky, I was wondering if there was a Google Sky Map alike for helping people like me to identify what we see on the coastal horizon ?

Thanks in advance,

G.

Advertisement
    :
  2. bigdrew

bigdrew Well-Known Member

Google Goggles might help you, if what you're looking at is well-known enough, like a landmark.
  3. huotg01

huotg01 Member

"Google Sky Map alike" means, notably, without using internet...

4. huotg01

huotg01 Member

I just recently "discovered" the great tool mentioned in your post: "Google Googles".
    But as I said to AliceT, as for stars viewing, I'm looking for an internet less application (on a cruise boat, the internet could cost more than the cruise itself ;)

G.
  5. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Do you have GPS? SkEye works without internet. I've used it where I have no connection. You don't always get phone service in Arches NP. We set up telescope in one of the less used overlooks. GPS will find your coordinates for sky.

Google apparently abandoned Skymap.
  6. huotg01

huotg01 Member

SkEye looks great, and you are right about Google Sky Map, but I'm looking at a "coast viewer", something that would be similar to a "sky viewer", an application that just uses GPS and internal mobile sensors to provide informations on the screen.

Doesn't seem to exist such an application :confused:

G.
  7. dvhttn

dvhttn Well-Known Member

You could always use an atlas ..... ?!

Dave
  8. huotg01

huotg01 Member

As said, I'm no good in geography, and sometimes (often?) confused, but am I in PHANDROID forum ?

G.
  9. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Maybe a geocaching app?

There's a geocam.

Look up geography by gps.
  10. huotg01

huotg01 Member

Good suggestion. That could to tje job as long as it doesn't required internet.

Thanks
  11. huotg01

huotg01 Member

Before "closing", I'm surprised that there is not for the sea coast (shore) a similar application than those for looking at the sky/stars. I mean by that: you don't need internet, you turn on the GPS, you point your device towards the sea coast (from a boat, indeed)...and you see on the screen what you point to.