1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Google Sky Map is giving me problems

Last Updated:

1. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm an astronomy fan so when I saw that there was a Google Sky Map app for my new Android phone (a Samsung Moment), I was pretty excited.

Too bad it doesn't work and ONLY lets you use the compass instead of letting you scroll around the sky manually. I don't want to wave my phone around to find something, I want to use it like an actual map. Besides, there must be something wrong with the compass because it jumps around everywhere and only seems to work right when the phone is pointed straight up or straight down.

Anyway, maybe it's just my particular phone that doesn't work well. I've tried reinstalling and it hasn't made a difference. I don't suppose there's any way to make it ignore the compass and let you move the map around manually? I know my way around the sky already, I just like having a reference so I know where various planets are at any given time.

If the Google app won't do that, is there any alternative planetarium software that will? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Jay-Eff

Jay-Eff Well-Known Member

I have it on my Lg eve it yes you can pan thru the map manually.
    Look at the settings.

You can also search for a specific item.

I have no complaint at all about this app on my phone tought. Mind you I am far from being an astronomy fan.

3. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ah, I was able to switch it to manual by double-tapping the screen. I was originally confused because it wasn't in the settings.

Anyway, thanks! It should be much more helpful now!

4. jontayler

jontayler Member

Hi Mama,
    There's a small icon on the bottom right of the screen to toggle between automatic and manual mode. It's also described in the instructions if you go to settings/about.

Regards,

John

5. jontayler

jontayler Member

...as for the app not working so well in 'auto' mode....this is almost certainly a problem with your hardware. Again read the about text for suggestions on calibrating your compass. Hope that helps.

6. Inspeqtor

Inspeqtor New Member

I have the Motorola original Droid phone. My Google Sky map jumps all over the place. I looked for but did not find the 'about text' for how to re-calibrate my compass. Where do I find this text or how do I re-calibrate my compass so it will work properly?

Thank you

Charles

7. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Mine was so far off it wasn't funny. I even added my coordinates manually. It kept showing constellations that weren't up at the time. I checked time, coordinates, gps, everything that Sky needed, and it was still wrong. So it got deleted. It would tell me that Aquarius was overhead, and it had already set!
    Some have trouble with the GPS on the GSG4g, but streets are showing correctly, so I'm assuming that the GPS does work. The clock is working right also. And I got the coordinates I typed in from NOAA. Those coordinates work in all the PC programs I have, and in Astrotools.

8. Inspeqtor

Inspeqtor New Member

Does anyone know if it is possible to re-calibrate the compass?

9. mcgarvey2001

mcgarvey2001 New Member

I have the Catch compass installed and it seems to be working fine.

10. mcgarvey2001

mcgarvey2001 New Member

I guess it may depend on the phone. I'm having issues with my Dinc2. Some web searching shows variations in symptoms and workarounds in different phones.

11. mcgarvey2001

mcgarvey2001 New Member

12. PeteDee

PeteDee Well-Known Member

Totally out of whack on my Acer A500 but perfect on my Galaxy S.

Pete