Google stores...its only a matter of time.

Last Updated:

1. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

With all theproducts and services Google already provides, the android os, the nexus, the apps and the upcoming chrome os, I would think that google will eventually launch their own store to compete with the apple store. Though they don't manufacture their own hardware, they can easily partner with other companies like what they did with the nexus. I'm thinking when the chrome os comes out, google do something similar and partner up to produce a google branded laptop and deskstop. Do you think a google store will be as popular as the apple store?

Advertisement
  2. pipskicks

pipskicks Well-Known Member

What if they go the Microsoft route? Microsoft doesn't really have the same business model as Apple, so I'd say Google really can go either way or somewhere in between so it's really hard to say.

VERY interesting to watch, and I think Google could do the Apple thing, especially with how innovative they are, but they may be able to just as easily be very profitable making software and using hardware companies like Microsoft does now...

3. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I'm not sure, that would be a major shift, much more major than selling phones over the web.

4. Geoponic

Geoponic Well-Known Member

I think google will stick with the internet.
    I think they'll open up their cloud and spread it further.

They won't open stores in my opinion.
    They don't need to.
    Everything google gives us is free, we pay for the hardware.

5. jdub71

jdub71 Well-Known Member

They dont even have a customer support system (to speak of) set up yet. Dont see the storefront happening anytime soon. If, eventually, they do, I dont think they will be as popular as the apple store (to answer your question).

6. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

Google wants to be different and do things their way, I don't see them copying Apple's stores.

7. jdub71

jdub71 Well-Known Member

I guess that isnt innovation after all is it?:D

8. kabbie_mcfeely

kabbie_mcfeely Well-Known Member

They have had a "store" for a while...

Google Online Store

maybe they will add to it, who knows.

chrlswltrs likes this.
  9. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

Online stores rock... just as long as they offer free, next-day priority shipping.

10. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Not quite a Google or Nexus store, but it's certainly an Android store..
    [​IMG]
    ...in Zhuhai, China.

...apparently they sell fruit phones as well...
    [​IMG]

11. brownhornet

brownhornet Well-Known Member

Well it wouldnt be as easy for them to pull off. Apple basically sells products that they manufacture, Google would be selling other manufacturers products that just so happen to run their operating system. So in essence youll have a store selling HTC, Motorola, Samsung, etc. Honestly you will never see a Google or Microsoft store as successful as the Apple store is. When I go in the mall there is both an Apple Store and a Microsoft store and Apple is ALWAYS slammed with people.

12. gvillager

gvillager Well-Known Member

I thought Apple had a patent on stores. :confused:

13. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

14. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog Moderator

They do and will be filing suite within the next few weeks :eek:

Seriously though I think having a "Store" as in brick and morter would be a move going backwards. Google is an Online Company. I don't think they will want to deal with the overhead that a Store requires that takes away from profits.

Apple stores only do good because of the iThings they have. Which really I think is totally overrated. Everyone knows that apples have worms in them :p

Microsoft they just bully people into using their crap Most HW manufactures only deal with them for the popularity of Winblows.

So with Apples Consistently Suing people and Microsoft Bullying People then Google will stay profitable.

So I at this time would like to thank Apple and Microsoft for helping to expand Open Source do to both of the companies crappy business practices.:D

15. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

16. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Yeah, with the failure of the Nexus One sales model, I don't see Google ever doing direct sales that would necessitate a storefront.

17. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Nope, not going to happen. Why would Google spend the money to get the property, build the storefront, and hire the employees to sell things they don't make? The apoplectic who would make the most money from a Google Store would be Samsung, Motorola, HTC and the people who make the hardware.

AntimonyER likes this.
  18. mbell1975

mbell1975 Guest

This is true. Apple makes their own hardware, Google does not. They do not even build their own phones.

19. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

If they did anything at all, it would be like the samsung experience store, which doesn't actually sell anything. And to me sounds like a horrific waste of money...

20. gvillager

gvillager Well-Known Member

Google bought Motorola Mobility.

+1 on this...

21. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Tut...tut....Apple, for ignoring the health and safety of its customers, especially in lawsuit loving USA.
    [​IMG]

BTW I've actually done it myself, walked right into a very clean plate glass window (not door) in a menswear shop, BANG!!! fortunately I wasn't hurt though, just rather shocked. The store did take measures to prevent it from happening again, and I got a nice new leather jacket out of it.

22. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Yes, but purely for the patents, they aren't sticking their fingers into the hardware side. Besides, if the opened a Google store and only sold Motorola hardware, that would not make the other manufacturers who use Android very happy. And that's also why they aren't monkeying around with the Moto hardware.