Google Talk: Auto Away, Mobile indicator never work?General

Last Updated:

1. Crunchbot

Crunchbot Member This Topic's Starter

My status on Google Talk never changes despite the fact that I have the settings checked in settings to "go to away when I turn off the screen" as well as "show mobile indicator to friends". This wasn't functional in 1.5, 2.1v1 and now 2.1v3 on my Eris. Has anyone had success? I've seen this function work on a TMobile rooted G1 but that's it.

I can watch the indicator change on the web when I change it manually (signed in as another user), and its very responsive. However, no auto-away when i lock the phone, and no indication that I'm on a mobile phone. Any advice? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member

I'm going to test it right now and see if mine shows the mobile indicator.

3. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member

Nope, I just tested it with another account. It only shows a little green circle and not the android indicator. Don't know what's going on there but it doesn't work.

Crunchbot likes this.
  4. Crunchbot

I appreciate you checking it out.

5. fungalMonk

fungalMonk Well-Known Member

With 1.5, I tended to get GTalk messages on my phone even though I was still logged in and not idle on my computer. I'd been glad to see that behavior stop since rooting/2.1. It was annoying. Haven't really paid attention since then though.

6. Crunchbot

That happens to me if my google talk conversation is not the window of focus, at least that's what happened on 1.5. I haven't noticed whether or not it has happened on 2.1.

I really wish those other functions would work, because even if I have my "away" message up, I get some people sending me quick messages, and they beep my phone. I don't mind that they are doing that if i am at my computer, but I'd like the mobile indicator so that they know. I mean, it's a function that's supposed to work, regardless of why I want to use it. I feel that the more I use Android (since Nov 2009) the more it feels like it is incomplete or unfinished. It's rare that something functions well consistently. For example, "Listen" is great, but scrolling doesn't work. "Mail" works, but often doesn't update for a few hours. The browser doesn't react to download links all the time. I had to enter an appointment 3 times into my calendar before it got the times correct, (they were 4 hours off in the agenda window). Don't get me started on the actual "Phone" function. I consistently dial people twice because i can't tell if the phone is trying to dial them or didn't register a click.

I know that software is like this, but these are the most basic smartphone apps. 2.1 improved things a little but after about a month it started to feel like it was slowing or force closing everything. This newest leak feels better but I think it's just because its a fresh install.

7. dkgbond3

dkgbond3 New Member

Both the options/functions work good.

The automatic away options works. The status is changed to idle only when your phone screen is off AND its off for 10mins. (like it happens on the pc)

The mobile indicator option is for indicating that you are on mobile ONLY to the people/friend who have logged in from the Google Talk android client, and not Gmail or Gtalk desktop client.

dsgirl likes this.
  8. Zidane

Zidane New Member

Hi, I know this thread is old but I dont understand the behaviour of the gtalk app on android (this is running on 1.5 If it makes any difference).

What you are saying is that it changes to Idle only when your phone screen is off and its off for 10 mins, meaning that the screen MUST remain off for 10 minutes or so for it to go Idle... right?

And then, what triggers the Idle status back to Busy/Online/WhateverYouHad?
    Unlocking the screen switches it back to Online/Busy? Meaning that I could be just sending an SMS and the gtalk client running in background would go back from Idle to Online/Busy for example?

Thanks to anyone who knows exactly how this works, it really bugs me.

Cheers!

9. sakuragirl

sakuragirl New Member

I'd like to know the same. Can anyone confirm whether or not unlocking your screen/sending a text, using your phone for anything else other than GTalk would make a user go back to Online/Busy? It frustrates me that this could be the case.

10. dsgirl

dsgirl New Member

I have actually tested this myself. My boyfriend swears he's not on his phone at times when it shows green. Once you unlock your phones screen, if you are doing anything....it shows you as available. Once you leave the phone for 10 min for more (doing nothing with it) it shows you as away. As long as you unlock the screen, even if you aren't doing anything related to gtalk, it shows online.

11. dsgirl

dsgirl New Member

I have actually tested this myself. My boyfriend swears he's not on his phone at times when it shows green. Once you unlock your phones screen, if you are doing anything....it shows you as available. Once you leave the phone for 10 min for more (doing nothing with it) it shows you as away. As long as you unlock the screen, even if you aren't doing anything related to gtalk, it shows online.