• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

google talk going idle

i have an htc hero and google talk has worked great for a year and a half. but now...when i haven't used my phone for >5 minutes if i go to google talk everything is greyed out as if i'm not connected. at this time, when i am logged into gtalk on a different account on a computer my android phone google talk account is not shown as idle (the icon is green). if i send a chat from the computer to the phone, the phone does not receive it. however, if i go to gtalk on my phone, in a few seconds it becomes active (so not greyed out) and i receive the chat. so this means that if i am not actively using gtalk, i don't receive messages until I open gtalk! this has only been the case for a couple of weeks...but i really depend on gtalk! i have tried restarting my phone. the weird behavior occurrs whether i am on 3g, edge or gprs. gtalk is set to automatically connect and not to go to standby when the screen is off.

please can anyone help??

thanks!

Check your battery settings. Some battery settings turn off your data to preserve battery, so after...say 15 minutes...your data will turn off, therefore signing you off Google talk. If you want to stay signed into Google Talk, you either have to constantly be checking your phone, or set your battery settings so they don't turn off data after a certain time. When your phone is idle, your Google Talk status goes idle (and then will eventually sign you out when don't check your phone).

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Check your battery settings. Some battery settings turn off your data to preserve battery, so after...say 15 minutes...your data will turn off, therefore signing you off Google talk. If you want to stay signed into Google Talk, you either have to constantly be checking your phone, or set your battery settings so they don't turn off data after a certain time. When your phone is idle, your Google Talk status goes idle (and then will eventually sign you out when don't check your phone).

Hope this helps!

No this did not help at all.

You did not tell where I can find these mystical battery settings that are hidden somewhere.

So, where exactly Those mysterical battery idle settings are in Android 2.2.1 ? Your answer just fustrates people, maybe that was your point in the first place uh??

Its very frustrating to google search information and help, when the help is just "you can fix it by configuring it. I really hope I was able to help!"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones