• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Talk is counting as texts!

TXSooner

Mar 26, 2010
The last couple months I have gone over my texts by a couple hundred each time. I thought maybe I was sending a lot of normal texts. This last month I only sent 20 normal texts and a boatload of google talk messages because I thought they wouldn't count towards my limit. Come to find out they do.... I kept reading that it used data and not texts, guess thats not the case.

The last couple months I have gone over my texts by a couple hundred each time. I thought maybe I was sending a lot of normal texts. This last month I only sent 20 normal texts and a boatload of google talk messages because I thought they wouldn't count towards my limit. Come to find out they do.... I kept reading that it used data and not texts, guess thats not the case.

Completely inaccurate. Are you sure your not talking about Google Voice, and replying to them with you actual cell number.

UNLESS (just thought of this) you are sending when someone is OFFLINE and asks you if you want to send as a SMS. Then and only then would you be charged. GOOGLE TALK USES ONLY DATA.

Upvote 0
Completely inaccurate you say? I guess you have seen my texts and my bill :rolleyes:.

I don't use google voice EXCEPT for my voicemail, and I dont have it send a txt to me when I do receive a voicemail, so that isnt it. I send Google Talk messages to 1 person, my brother. And he is never offline, he carries his BB everywhere with him. I get 250 texts per month and I went over by 137. As I said, I did not send 250 texts with just normal texting, I didnt even send 100.

If perhaps my brother isn't using the genuine Google Talk app, but some other 3rd person Gtalk app, could that do it? My wife doesn't have the genuine app, but some 3rd party app that says it is a GTalk app.

EDIT: Just confirmed he is using the genuine GTalk app.

Upvote 0
Completely inaccurate you say? I guess you have seen my texts and my bill :rolleyes:.

I don't use google voice EXCEPT for my voicemail, and I dont have it send a txt to me when I do receive a voicemail, so that isnt it. I send Google Talk messages to 1 person, my brother. And he is never offline, he carries his BB everywhere with him. I get 250 texts per month and I went over by 137. As I said, I did not send 250 texts with just normal texting, I didnt even send 100.

If perhaps my brother isn't using the genuine Google Talk app, but some other 3rd person Gtalk app, could that do it? My wife doesn't have the genuine app, but some 3rd party app that says it is a GTalk app.

EDIT: Just confirmed he is using the genuine GTalk app.

I know it is something else and not Google Talk. Google Talk is strictly data.

Upvote 0
Want to confirm? Turn OFF Mobile Network and leave Wireless on (obviously be connected to a wifi). He can do this as well. Send a Gtalk message, which will go thru. At same time try and make a cell call, which you should not be able too.

Also I want to make sure I am clear here, are you sure one of you is not confusing with GOOGLE VOICE, which if not set up properly will count against your SMS plan.

Upvote 0
I had a problem where when i sent out using google voice it was free. But when i received a message via GV, google voice sent a copy to my non-GV number, resulting in texting charges. I couldn't figure out how to turn this off in google voice's settings, so i simply called up verizon and had them block texting. Now i am able to use google voice texting for free, but all regular SMS texts in or out are blocked.

Upvote 0
I had a problem where when i sent out using google voice it was free. But when i received a message via GV, google voice sent a copy to my non-GV number, resulting in texting charges. I couldn't figure out how to turn this off in google voice's settings, so i simply called up verizon and had them block texting. Now i am able to use google voice texting for free, but all regular SMS texts in or out are blocked.
Go to voice settings, then to the phone tab. Next, click edit on your mobile phone. Un check the box next to text settings, then hit save. This will keep the duplicate texts from going to your non gv number. Hope this helps.

Reactions: M0rpheus
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones