Google Talk - Lost connection to server..Support

Last Updated:

1. Magel282

Magel282 Member This Topic's Starter

I have a question about Google Talk.

Is there any way to keep it from disconnecting after a while after the screen has been turned off? I have "always-on mobile data" active but after a minute or so after turning the screen of Google Talk disconnects and I don't receive any messages until I manually turn on the screen and wait for it to reconnect and retrieve the new messages.

Just to note it doesn't actually show the splash screen saying signing into Google Talk it just says "Lost connection to server. Messages will be sent when online" bellow the most recent message.

Advertisement
  2. Magel282

So no one else has this issue?

3. Magel282

Bump.. a month later and still have this issue :(. Any fix for this?

4. Mattmann

Mattmann Active Member

I will take a stab in the dark to help you...

Im on tmobile and this doesn't happen for me. My phone can be on my desk at work and I will still receive a gtalk message after any amount of time on Idle.

What It may b is that your connection drops when u close the screen, for some reason?

Also just to let you know that I havent changed any of the settings except away when screen off setting...

Cheers, matt

5. Magel282

The connection remains on as eBuddy stays connected with Google Talk. I can't use the inbuilt Google Talk app becuase of this issue :(.

I've done extensive reading around the net, most suggest there is no fix for this but to create a new google account which I will try today.

Thanks for your input :)

6. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

I use the built in gtalk app all the time, and it pings me no matter how long the phone has been idle..

7. Magel282

Wish mine was the same. It disconnects as soon as I turn off the screen. I have always on data thing active to..

8. Magel282

Well creating a new Google account didn't help either. Why would eBuddy stay connected when the screen is off and not Google Talk its self??

9. rhamm621

rhamm621 Active Member

Well, here is food for thought. I have an Evo, and replaced it last week for screen issues.

My old Evo never had this problem, my new one does! I think I am going to try a hard reset and see if that helps.

10. calabriataste

calabriataste New Member

Hi,

I just bought the hTC Desire S and I'm having the same problem. I know is not the line because previously I had the hTC Hero and never had the googletalk chat problem.
    I'm pretty sure is a hardware problem rather than a line or internet problem. I'm thinking in going to the shop to see if by miracle they know something about it.

11. anandasang

anandasang New Member

This is annoyngly frequent in my iconia tab, not in my nexus one though :confused:

12. umshamrock

umshamrock Well-Known Member

I had a Hero which was perfect and now I have a Desire S with the same problem. Has anyone figured it out yet?

13. francmyster

francmyster New Member

My galaxy S 2 disconnects every time display turns off....so annoying. I really hope I'm just overlooking something. :mad::(

14. ddxv

ddxv New Member

15. triggerhippie

triggerhippie New Member

I registered just to post this and maybe help resolve this issue for some of you.

Disconnecting after the screen turned off was a big problem for me on several android devices (all samsung). Tried everything i thought of and nothing seemed to work until i came across something called FAST DORMANCY - a feature that idles the connection if no data comes through after a certain amount of time. I have Galaxy S3 and i used the "FastDormancy toggle for I9300" app (searched for "fast dormancy" in PlayStore) to disable it and immediately noticed the improvement. Disconnecting was no longer a problem.

Unfortunately, your device has to be rooted to disable the feature. Also, i really don`t know do devices from other manufacturers (HTC, Motorola and so on) have this feature....

Just google fast dormancy to find more about this.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Tom

16. umshamrock

umshamrock Well-Known Member

i switched to What's App...it's much more reliable. shame tho as i loved Gtalk...