• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Talk showing Google+ contacts

AndroiDad75

Android Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2010
Everyone,

Within the last week or so my Google Talk account, both the desktop and the android app, are showing people whom with I am connected with on Google+.

Is there any way to not have those contacts show up in Google Talk now? I would like to keep them separate, and they always used to be, but now it seems they are connected.

Thanks!!!

You can check your Chat Settings from gMail and specify the handling of new contacts for Talk. Either they show up after contact, or you specifically OK them. You may need to do this from a PC browser, but you may be able to dig for it under Account Settings from device browser. This will resolve your immediate additions to talk upon contact.

As for your contacts from G+ showing in Talk; upon initial Google+ start did you select the "add your Google+ contacts to Android contacts" option? That might've done it as Google Talk pulls from your contacts. Check this link, hopefully it can maybe explain it;

Gmail will automatically invite some contacts - Google Chat Help

Hope that helps.

Reactions: AndroiDad75
Upvote 0
Thanks chessboxxin for the link. I will dig into it. I have had my Google+ account since the beginning, and have never had people who were on there in my gtalk browser, so I am going to guess that I didn't check that. It just recently changed somehow.

I will also check my gmail settings. Not sure why things would have changed recently, as I haven't gone in and made any changes to my account.

Thanks for the ideas. I will check them out.

Upvote 0
Hope that helps. I had this happen once, it was when Google+ first introduced the chat (talk integration) into the G+ web version. I wasn't sure if it was a bug or I had accidentally kept that option checked on a fresh install. I either cleared it up through a setting on the Google+ web side, or gTalk chat settings. Your fix is in there somewhere. Much luck. :)

-edit

Here is this, should get you sorted;

http://webapps.stackexchange.com/qu...alk-buddy-list-now-full-of-people-from-google

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones