1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Google/Talk Talk App For Texting

Last Updated:

1. DroidPower

DroidPower Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

does anyone really use Google Talk for texting, what are the advantages... if there's any. Why would you use the talk (google/Gmail) App instead of the other texting Apps/programs.

Advertisement
  2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

I really only use it when I'm on my laptop, hardly ever on my phone. It's good for a quick 'hi' but a lot of my friends don't have Gmail (I know, really!) so obviously I can't use it for them.
    It's convenient, free and right there so it's OK but for any real texting I use Google Voice.

3. doctorwhofan10

doctorwhofan10 Member

I use it all the time. I have couple of choices: skype, gtalk and GV. so if I cannot find my friends online on skype or gtalk, I will send them a text over GV.

typing on samsung galaxy is so much better than my bb storm.

4. Dmtalon

Dmtalon Well-Known Member

I use gtalk over sms because gtalk is included in my dataplan, not extra like texting.

of all the similar apps, gtalk is the easiest on battery, the only downside (to me) is the lack of ability to send pictures through it.

Beejive is another good IM app that works with quite a few different protocols, and does use google's "push" technology if you have 2.2. Its still a bit harder on battery than gtalk though. BUT I can send pictures.

Lastly, if someone I know isn't on an IM I will use GV (Google Voice) SMS to send them a txt as that too is free (read: included as part of my data plan) since it's all data.