Google Talk with Google VoiceGeneral

Last Updated:

1. SecretSexyNinja

SecretSexyNinja Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was wondering if anyone has been using Google Talk exclusively for SMS and ditched their texting w Verizon all together. I mainly ask as I am curious how reliable it is as a replacement for SMS. I'd love to cut my phone bill by $20 a month.

My friend (5-6 months ago) said he was having issues w Gtalk in regards to some msgs not sending, or he never actually received them to his phone. He had issues with his N1 on Tmobile. Is anyone still experiencing similar problems? My SMS MUST function and be completely reliable as I use it constantly to communicate with my managers.

What is everyone's experience thus far?

Advertisement
  2. redworm

redworm Active Member

First of all you must mean Google voice. And for me that is working fine for sms, however it is lacking mms support and email-sms gateway options.

3. SecretSexyNinja

yeah, that is what I meant. i'm obviously new to it haha. so what do you mean by an email-sms gateway option? and you've had no issues with GV in regards to sending and recieving SMS? I have no need for MMS. I use email for anything like that

4. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

I haven't had any problems using GV for my SMS. At most, I have noticed a 5 minute delay from them being sent to being received.

5. SecretSexyNinja

is that always a 5 min delay or at times? that'd be 10 min between messages, always.. can't deal w that. if its not always, then i'm fine.

6. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

No, that is the max I have seen it. Normally it is really quick.

7. SecretSexyNinja

dang that posted twice, okay thanks!

8. crutoi

crutoi Well-Known Member

i completely switched and love it. there is no reason to pay $10 a month for something that can be had for free(legally).

9. damnhao

damnhao New Member

you are also limited to texting individually, you cant send out mass text messages.

10. gnopgip

gnopgip Member

I love google voice. It may be collecting info from me, but it sure is useful. Add to that you can shoot out texts from the web client and keep the conversations going on your phone, I don't miss paying $5 per month.

11. neelmehta

neelmehta Well-Known Member

I used it for the first time today since I went over my Verizon 500 text limit. I asked my friend how his baby was and I got a reply very quick.

First text sent 14:51, reply at 14:56, next text sent 14:59, reply at 15:00 so I find it pretty reliable.

(I just can't keep dishing out money to pay for unlimited texts in addition to all the other crap I have on my plan.....) If this becomes reliable, i'm switing to Google for texting!