• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Talk won't stay signed in

Hi, I have a Motorola Atrix2, running Android 2.3.6 on AT&T. I have used Google Talk since getting the phone last December, but for the past week have had trouble.

When I wake the phone I find that I am no longer signed into Talk. My contact list is subdued in grey, a notice appears at the bottom of my chat window saying that the connection with the server has been lost, and my 4G icon has gone from blue to white indicating that I no longer am connected to Google.

I haven't done anything to the phone / settings to cause this. I've tried many things to fix this including: rebooting, hard booting, force stop the application and clearing it's data (cache is always empty), and replacing the SIM. Needless to say none of these steps have helped. I have not tried a factory reset as I have read elsewhere of people trying this with no luck.

As far as I have been able to tell, this problem only happens when connected to my service plan, I have never noticed this happening when hooked onto WI-FI

Having searched online all I can find that might be at fault is the version of Android (the phone originally had 2.3.4 but was upgraded several months ago), and the fact that AT&T has recently upgraded to "true 4G LTE" in my area. I have no idea if either of these are actually the cause of my problem.

Google Talk is one of my two main means of communication and I really need this resolved. Please, if anyone has any suggestions or knows how to fix this, please let me know. Thank you!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones