• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google toolbar required on ICS for voice command?

modernaire

Apr 16, 2013
Hello, looking to get an ICS phone soon.

I simply don't like the Google toolbar and I know it can be removed, but I've heard conflicting information on what happens.

The only voice command I use often is setting the alarm by using the Google Voice Search app.

On Gingerbread you could easily remove the Google toolbar without any problems but it also wasn't on the main screen.

I've heard that on ICS the toolbar must be present to use any sort of voice commands, and was wondering if this was the case.

Thanks

What breadnatty08 said is the way to go.

If you want to be able to set the alarm using voice search after removing the Google Search bar from your homescreen you have a few choices:
- If you get Google Now on your phone, just slide up from the home button on your homescreen and you will have the Google Search bar at the top of Google Now
- Add the Google Now or Google Search widget to a side screen (or clock widget to do it manually)

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
So it's impossible to remove it from the main screen without using some type of launcher or rooting the phone (neither which I'm interested in)?

Can you move it to a different screen? I really just don't want it on the main screen, I don't like the way it looks. At the same time, I want to be able to use voice search without having it on the main screen. This can be done on gingerbread (all you have to do is hold down on the toolbar and remove it) and the voice command app can still be used.

Also, if the "google now" app will work with the toolbar removed, will the "google voice search app" work as well?

It's been the only thing preventing me from upgrading to an ICS phone. I've also noticed on certain phones that got an ICS upgrade, the toolbar isn't present, but is present on all stock ICS devices.

Upvote 0
Don't those upgrade to 4.1 (Jelly Bean)?

Your Google Now page will always have Google Search bar at the top and the microphone icon in it so you can do voice commands - just like the Google Search bar on he homescreen you want to get rid of.

As far as I know, the Google Search bar stays on the main screen at the top unless you root or use a launcher. I never tried to remove it though - so I could be mistaken

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones