• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Translkate offline problem

Planning a trip to France with my Samsung Galaxy S4, I have downloaded the French offline pack for Google Translate, turned on Airplane mode so I could try it out at home (as if I were somewhere without WiFi) and I have the following odd problem:
English-to-French works fine. But when the program asks for the French response (which it asks for, corrrectly, in French), it interprets the spoken French as English, which it doesn't understand:
I say, in English "What time is it?" I see "what time is it' in the English part of the screen and get the correct French "quelle heure est-il" in the French part.
I see "Parlez maintenant" (Speak now) and I reply, in French, "Je ne sais pas, Monsieur" and I see, on the French part of the screen "gin say pa miss you," or "susie promise you" or other English words it hopes it's hearing, and the same words on the Engish part of the screen. It doesn't understand French as French.
It works fine when online.
I have deleted and reloaded Google Translate. I have deleted and Reloaded the French offline pack (including the one-time general offline pack. No change. I have rebooted. I have downloaded the Spanish pack and it does the same thing.
Again, it works properly online. Only the offline pack refuses to "hear" the second language correctly. I have added French to the Speech options Voice Search setting. Makes no difference.
Ideas?? Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones