Google TV for Me?

Last Updated:

1. Peacefrog67

Peacefrog67 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

I just have a few specific needs for online TV and wanted to see if Google TV was for me. Basically this is what I need -

1. Ability to stream Netflix

2. Watch movies/videos downloaded from my laptop or an external drive

3. Watch streaming content through the web. I don't have cable so I like to stream the sports games from various sources. Will I be able to play these through Google TV?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Yes, you can stream Netflix

Yes, you can watch movies and videos from a USB storage device (although some people have said that many formats are not currently supported)

And yes...you can stream content from the internet although some networks are blocking content from what I understand (network companies like abc, cbs, etc). I suppose you could use it without a cable box...but the integration of web and cable tv is a really big selling point for me.

I can't remember what channel ESPN ocho :) is on but being able to quickly and EFFECTIVELY be able to search for the team or sporting event you want to watch is awesome. ;)

Edit: link me with some of the live programming you want to watch (if available) and I'll see if I can stream that content.

3. Peacefrog67

Peacefrog67 New Member This Topic's Starter

OK thanks PM sent

4. UBRocked

Figured I'd post my response to the PM so others could see my comments.

I realize that I am an early adopter of this and some of you may be on the fence...so if anyone wants me to test something, post it here and I'll continue to check this thread.

5. UBRocked

Found some content and linked me to CBS.com where the video started to load and then said it wouldn't play on my device. HOPEFULLY, this changes as I'm sure many people will want to watch videos from the big network channels.

Still haven't tried Hulu...I'll do that tonight.

6. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member

Hulu is blocking the googletv OS they are using the tags from the browser. Until someone can spoof this Hulu will be blocked or you will have to try hulu plus when and if they announce it. I personally am thinking of switching to only using Amazon VOD. I pay about $130 a month for my dish network. The dvr is nice and all but thats 130 episodes or so I can watch from Amazon VOD, since I only watch about 6 show with 4 episodes a month i would save a lot and could spend that money on buying more movies or other services. As the services expand it will be interesting to see what offers and networks make themselves available. Until then though the big DVR storage and movie channel package I have will have to do. I have already started a personal list of what I can use with Google TV that fits my viewing needs. I am hoping to get a decent list going and keep it posted and up to date here.

7. phantom phenom

phantom phenom Well-Known Member

i know its dumb question but i want want to make sure googletv is for me, can i watch hdtv cable from brighthouse on googletv ?

8. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member

Google currently should work and pass through any HDTV set top box. I would think as long as the Bright House box does HDMI out there should be no troubles.