Google TV-just another subscription service??

Last Updated:

1. inquiring

inquiring New Member This Topic's Starter

Got GTV and see most video services require a paid subscription that I otherwise get for FREE on my laptop. Didn't want another "pay-as-you-go" device to ring up dozens of dollars in bills each month so am about ready to return the Logitech Revue hardware,

Q1:is there another web access box that DOES not charge money for access to view web video? (e.g. programs on Nat Geo, Hulu, etc).

Q2: Any recommendations for a A/V card that I can add to my PC that will stream web content to my SONY HD flat panel?

Thank you very much experts!

Advertisement
  2. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member

Any video card with an HDMI out would work. As far as streaming there are plenty of free software options that can stream from the PC to DLNA devices which the Revue is. I agree there are fairly limited options at this point but remember the market will be coming in the spring and there will be a lot more Apps then. I think the biggest thing now is content providers aren't sure how to monetize it which I think is dumb. Allowing Hulu on the Google TV devices would gain them the same results as a computer. Heck it might even bring more people. My mom as an example hates watching things on Hulu because she only has a laptop and its hard for her and dad to crowd around it and things like that. If they would open up Hulu they would have that many more impressions. Content providers have this strange thought process that apparently leads them to believe no one hooks a computer with windows up to a TV. Once they get over this hurdle there will be more content and once the apps start coming. I know you probably want something now but unfortunately there isn't a lot out there besides sites like syfy.com they allow streaming, fox.com allows you to watch. There are sites out there its just a matter of tracking them down.