• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google updated "Car Home" app - install unsuccessful

Car Home just got updated - but it won't install on my CM6 Hero

anyone else having this problem? or is it just me??

Have you tried Titanium Backup? Uninstall car home 2.2 through TB, then reboot phone, then go back to market and install car home 2.2.1

You also might want to try newer google gapps and see if the new gapps have it installed

Reactions: SDscorch
Upvote 0
haha ok so i was a thousandth off haha

is the new version worth getting?

yeah.. i think so

it has some significant improvements (read the link i included in my first post)

also guys... its being reported that this update is only good for the N1 and Moto Droid

my question is... do we have to wait for the xda guys to work their magic on this until we can get this? or should we be able to run this app since we have CM6??

Upvote 0
Ok... here is how I did it. Open root explorer, open /system/app -mount R/W. look for CarHomeGoogle.apk. Long press it and hit rename... add .bak to it [CarHomeGoogle.apk.bak]. Hit ok and close out. Reboot and open Market. Search for Car Home (should be 2.2.1) and install. Reboot...

It worked perfect plus you have the 2.2 backup of CarHomeGoogle.apk. 2.2. This is so sweet. I used the "road" wallpaper, changed the color to match my dashboard , added SiriusXM, Listen, and Pandora apps.. KILLER!!

PS.. DON'T mess with CarHomeLauncher.apk or you will lose the icon and shortcut!

Wirez..

Reactions: SDscorch
Upvote 0
okay... for anyone not as technically savvy on the rooted android system as everyone else;)

i got it - and this is how......

there is an actual app called "root explorer" - you need it to do this

i tried astro explorer but that doesn't permit you change the filename

RE costs $2.99UK in the market - comes out to $4US

once you open it, navigate to the folder you want (see above) and then you have to click a little button in the upper right-hand corner (mount RW) <<< permits you to make changes

then follow the directions as MrWirez explains!
:D

Upvote 0
okay... for anyone not as technically savvy on the rooted android system as everyone else;)

i got it - and this is how......

there is an actual app called "root explorer" - you need it to do this

i tried astro explorer but that doesn't permit you change the filename

then follow the directions as MrWirez explains!
:D

You can also mount your phone via USB to your computer and rename files if Astro Manager does not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones