Google USB Sync

Last Updated:

1. Vmusic

Vmusic Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    I do NOT have WiFi in my home. I do have a PC that IS connected to the Internet. (I can get to some coffee shops where there is free WiFi, but not easily)

Is there a way WITHOUT THIRD PARTY APPS - through USB - to connect my Android phone to my PC, and sync or bring down my Gmail, Gmail Contacts and Google Calendar.

Maybe this is not true... but it seems, since the iPhone offers this functionality, that Google would also offer it.

I realize the world is going wireless.... but (OK, I'm in another country), it's not quite there yet.

SyncLess in China,
    Thanks!!

Advertisement
  2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

3. robo555

robo555 Active Member

Didn't the poster just said he doesn't have Wi-Fi at home?

What phone have you got? HTC has HTC Sync that does what you described (although I find it really flaky on recognising the phone's been plugged in).

4. AndroidSPCS

The link I posted, it creates a wifi hotspot out of a computer.

5. Vmusic

Hi,
    I apologizing for not providing more details

Motorola Motor (XT720) with Android 2.x
    Windows Vista Business

The PC does recognize the phone, and certainly I can move files and music to the phone's SD card without any problem. Of course Gmail/Google Calendar aren't technically "on" the PC, I access them on the web through through the PC.

I would prefer, if possible, using a program/USB cable because configuring Windows can be a pain (from experience).

Again - my "hope" is to plug in my Android phone via a USB cable and somehow sync or update the 1)Google Calendar 2)Google Contacts from Gmail and 3)Google mail

Thanks!!
    Vmusic

6. AndroidSPCS

Use the proram I linked to, it allows your PC to become a wifi hot spot, and thus your Android phone can connect to the internet via the hot spot, and sync to Google using the google services.

7. Vmusic

Hi,
    Thanks for the advice....but I DO NOT have Windows 7, I have Vista Business. This software DOES NOT work with Vista Business. I don't intend to give MS a bunch of money for hours and hours of frustration upgrading. I'm in China anyway so it would be extra extremely difficult.

So ONCE AGAIN... is there a way to sync your Google Calendar, Gmail Contacts and Gmail through USB?

Thanks!!

8. AndroidSPCS

9. Vmusic

Hi,
    I TRIED to install the software you mentioned and got an error. It KNOWS that I do NOT have Windows 7.....as I've told you several times.

I have already wasted more time than I should to sync up my Google (created) calendar program and Google (created) Gmail contacts with my Google (created) Android OS. Wake up - the whole world is NOT wireless yet.

Frustrated in China!!

10. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

The link in post 8 doesn't refer to any software that you have to install. It uses features built into Windows Vista. Of course, your PC has to have WiFi capabilities for this to be relevant.

Can't say that I know 100% but Google's approach is always to use the cloud, I seriously doubt they offer wired support. You'll probably need a 3rd party solution if there is one. You're in a very tiny subset of users so odds aren't really in your favor.

There are certainly wired sync solutions for Outlook (and other desktop PIM's) though.

11. gritz

gritz Active Member

I'm using PdaNet which works perfectly on my Droid X.... a free app that works through your USB cable. Download Pdanet from June Fabrics PDA Technology Group to your computer 1st and it puts a "Connect" icon in your system tray. Then download from your phone (Android Market icon) PdaNet. Enable USB debugging (Settings-Applications). Reboot both computer and phone, connect the cable, and click on "Connect" in your your computer System Tray. No need to screw around with wireless at all.

12. AndroidSPCS

Doesn't PdaNet do the opposite of what the OP is asking? It allows the PC to tether off the Android wireless, where as the OP is trying to connect the Android phone off of the PC?

13. Vmusic

Hi,
    Thanks for trying.... but PDANet DOES NOT work.... I tried it. Yes it's designed to go from the PC to the Phone, not the other way around.

Connectify DOES NOT work with Windows Vista

So .... back to square one.

Using Windows Vista (NOT W7)
    Motoroloa XT720
    Droid 2.x

-------------

Is there a way to connect the phone to PC and sync:

1. Google Calendar Entries
    2. Gmail Contacts
    3. Gmail

It seems such a BIG assumption to me... that everyone who has a Droid phone will AUTOMATICALLY get 3G and/or ALWAYS have WiFi...... that NO OTHER (old school) communication method was ever designed.

Frustrated In China!!

14. AndroidSPCS

my Post #8 gave you explicit directions on how to set up Vista as a hotspot, without Connectify software.

Read the link again.

I have tried to help you much, on this thread, and another thread with the keyboard issue, and have yet to have so much as an acknowledgment of thanks.

15. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Why does it matter that you have Vista? I made a Windows XP computer into a hotspot before. Its called an ad-hoc wireless connection.

Turn Your Vista Notebook Into a Wi-Fi Hotspot - PCWorld

You don't need any additional software. You just use Internet Connection Sharing with has been built-in to the OS since Windows 2000.

Why don't you want to buy a wireless router though? I realize your in China though, so maybe your financial or economic situation is more than likely different than here in the US. Still, I wouldn't think they are forbiddingly expensive.

16. Vmusic

Hi,
    I have used the word "Thanks" several time in my posts... I am grateful, but I am also a veteran of the difficulties in dealing with MS products. Anything that is supposed to work out of the box with a few mouse clicks, does, sometimes, after an hour or two or web research, several cups of coffee and intense frustration. Can you believe we've put up with this for almost 40 years and call it progress?

I followed the articles on 'setting up the wireless ad-hoc (computer to computer) network.... and 'Windows could not set up VMICS'.... VMICS was the name of the network.

I tried to enable ICS on the Local Area Connection that connects my Vista PC to the Internet.........and I received an error "An error occurred while ICS was being enabled (null)" - par for the Windows course.

The school where I'm at has some special software on my PC that enables the Internet Connection to work... (and who knows what else it does).

- - - - - - - - - - -
    So now I'm curious at one of the comments............ c'mon... you're telling me 90% or more of the droid phone owners have a 3G service package? REALLY?

- - - - - - - - - - -

Frustrated In the FarAway

17. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

Judging from that response i would say no, it is not possible. The ad-hoc was your best bet (and only if your pc has a wireless card, ie laptop and a few desktops.). That or make a trip to somewhere that has free wifi.

- - - - - - - - - - -
    Yes, i believe they do. Droid refers to about 5 different verizon phones only sold in the US. (sorry, pet peeve) Your Android device is intended to have 3g service, and use wifi to save your data limit and get faster speeds.
    I will admit to being a little confused. What kind of software is needed for your computer to connect?? The only way is if you can share your internet connection from your pc. Also why do you need to? If your at home then you got computer, if you leave then go by somewhere with wifi????
    Just my 2 cents

18. Vmusic

Hi,
    My first thought is this, and I see a few, howbeit just a few, posts that let me know others think this way.
    It's a ABSOLUTE Rip-off / crime / hideous greed - that U.S. phone companies charge for 3G service. - I suspect, and again perhaps wrongly..... that many people buy the phone and ONLY intend to use the WiFi, applications, phone without the ridiculous cost of high-end data plans. It really is a small computer in your hands.

Even if I were in the U.S., and I'm not right now, I probably wouldn't pay the highway robbery fees that U.S. phone carriers charge for data. Maybe I'm just plain cheap............ having said that, I do here in China and would in the U.S. ..... "live and die" by WiFi. In my humble opinion, it should be as easy to get a free WiFi connection as it is a cup of coffee. OK, well you pay for it in the long run because the free providers charge you a bit more for their services... but, again in my humble opinion, free WiFi should be easily accessible in many/most places in the U.S.

-- OK -- back to China - my school uses some special software, and I am told this is to allow special connection to educational resources offered by the school. Hhhhmmmmm......I think it's true, since all the sites that are normally blocked when I access the Internet at the local coffee shops are still blocked....

AT ANY RATE - I can't seem to get my Vista Business OS to share the connection. So Sad it is........ because my mode of operation is this - manage events, contacts, etc. on my PC and then download them or push them to my phone. BUT..... I have to get a WiFi connection to do that.

Thanks Again for All of the Posts and Trying!!

19. devizes18193

devizes18193 Well-Known Member