Google Voice Actions is 2.2 only...but Vlingo is now free.

Last Updated:

1. Tinyboss

Tinyboss Active Member This Topic's Starter

I was googling for "google voice actions eclair" in the hopes that a 2.1 version was in the works, and I found out that Vlingo (normally $9.99 in the market) is now free. It does some of the same things that the Google one apparently does (no setting alarms, though, too bad).

Might want to go grab it in case it doesn't stay free.

Advertisement
    Infinite-t and Vee like this.
  2. Djidea

Djidea Well-Known Member

I got it. Seem cool. Reccomend a try especially at this price. LOL.

3. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

Yea, I just checked it out.. Seems cool. I need to figure out how to tell it to play my music files. And if you could assign a button tap or lock screen tap to activate voice input, or blue tooth initialization, I would finally have the thing I miss most with the Capt.

4. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

I paid for it. Not particularly impressed. I find you have to be sure you don't speak too fast.

I have not been able to get it to play music. if you do, please post how back here.

One thing that irritate me about it is: when you use the Launch command it only works with native android apps, not third party apps.

5. Tinyboss

Tinyboss Active Member This Topic's Starter

I noticed that, too, about only launching native apps. And apparently it doesn't find music for you, so it's not a perfect substitute for GVA. But it's much better than nothing--I've been using it a lot for sending text messages.

6. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

I've tried the text messages too. But it makes just enough errors misunderstanding words that if I send it I look like an uneducated idiot And it almost takes more time to edit them than to just write them in the first place.

Speaking slowly and enunciating very clearly helps.

7. Liquoredolce

Liquoredolce Well-Known Member

I just pressed the icon on the home screen and said "send text message to julie, hey what's up" and it came up with a new text message to julie and typed "hey what's up" All I had to do from the home screen is press send. I think it works pretty well so far!

8. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

Yep. Nice short messages with few words will work better.

Probably another part of it will be getting through the learning curve of how it understands command for entering punctuation. As you may know, supposedly it will put a . when you say 'period' at the end of a sentence. Occasionally I had it put the work 'period' there.

9. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Wait. This doesn't come preloaded on Captivate?

10. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

No. Vlingo is s separate app. It claims to offer more capability than Google's 2.1 voice capabilities, which I think is true. It cost $10 at first, and is free now.

And Google's Voice actions requires Android 2.2

11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Active Member

Nice! I liked the voice dictation through the Droid keyboard, but this takes it one step further. Will definately have to play with this a bit.