• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google voice and caller ID

I love Google Voice but something has been bugging me about it lately, namely Caller ID support. I thought I had everything sorted out but after a factory data reset I was testing things out and it's not working how I would like.

Namely, when making calls, the caller ID of my actual phone shows up and not my GV number. This is kind of a pain when I'm trying to get everyone to use my GV number as my cell number.

Through two different methods, I have been able to get my GV number to show up. Method one was to use an older (v0.2) version of the GV app and use the option forcing all calls through GV. Method two was to use GVoice Callback app from the market.

The first problem with method one is that I'll forever have an app wanting upgrading. I'm bound to accidently update it one day and if I never update it, I'm bound to eventually miss out on a fix and/or new features. The callback app seems to work reasonably well, no real complaints. Except...

The huge problem with both solutions is that they work only for dialing through your contact list. If you just use the phone dialer, the phone's number shows up. Big problem if I'm trying not to confuse people I'm calling.

What's a guy to do? Any suggestions?

Reactions: Flyphoenix
The newest version of Google Voice works fine in Android 2.1v3 or OTA , so you won't have this problem anymore. You don't have to use the 0.2 GV. Set your GV for all calls and it should show your GV number to other people.

I'll do some more testing to see if this works. But it's post v3 install that I decided to do some testing and thought it didn't work as I desired.

Just to be clear, it seemed to work fine when making calls from my contact list. When I open the phone dialer and just key in a number is when I seem to have problems.

Upvote 0
I'll do some more testing to see if this works. But it's post v3 install that I decided to do some testing and thought it didn't work as I desired.

Just to be clear, it seemed to work fine when making calls from my contact list. When I open the phone dialer and just key in a number is when I seem to have problems.

Ok, hope it works out for ya. I love GV and I went nuts after it stopped working with the first 2.1 leak.

Upvote 0
Just a follow up on this. I got GV Dialer from the marketplace (paid). It works like a champ. Intercepts both calls from my contacts list as well as the standard dialer. It even includes a dialer of its own that you can use.

My only complaint is that when I dial a number (US domestic) without an area code, it somehow wants to interpret that is an international call; it give me a cost and balance before dialing. If I dial with a local area code, it works just fine. I don't know if this is a problem with the app or with GV itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones