Google Voice and calling from Canada to US

Last Updated:

1. KarKess

KarKess Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a Google voice account, and have to travel to Canada every day as a truck driver and I'm trying to save money calling home. I have Sprint international calling and it drops my rate to 20 cents a minute. Which gets expensive. I know it is only 1 cent a minute to call from the US to Canada with gv, but will this app work While I'm in Canada calling to the US and does it use minutes and data or just data which I can get unlimited for $20 a month.

Advertisement
  2. iamnid

iamnid Member

Actually, with Google Voice it's free to call from the US to Canada -- I do this all the time calling family who live in Canada.

I don't believe it will work the other way (being in Canada with US phone, calling US) -- you will still be using roaming minutes when you make the call.

I've heard that you can get some Skype programs for the phone that will allow you (if you have wifi when you make the call) to make calls for whatever skype charges. This won't help if you aren't near wifi when making the calls. Essentially, it makes the telephone call over the internet and because you're using wifi, there are no cell tower charges. I don't know what skype charges you for this, but I believe it is pretty minimal.

KarKess likes this.
  3. KarKess

KarKess Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the info, I'm just really trying to avoid an extra $100 a month for international calls.