Google Voice and Sense on 2.1Support

Last Updated:

1. zetroc

zetroc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

l know not many have received the phone, but if you know the answer to this (by experience or just knowledge) feel free to comment!

I like how gVoice can be fully integrated into 2.1 (on the N1). Does Sense change anything, or can one still achieve the same full integration with Sense involved?

I would like to exclusively use my gVoice number when my phone comes in, but I don't know if it will be smooth, seamless, and fully integrated, or if it will be the way it is on my Blackberry Tour right now. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

I have droid with 2.1 and the google voice app is the same as the n1 just not preinstalled. So just download it and you should be all set.

3. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

You have to download it but you can have calls and SMS default to google voice.

Unfortunately, Sense UI contact integration for email and SMS doesn't work with Gmail and google voice respectively. What I mean if you pick a contact and swipe to the message or email tabs they will be blank. Sucks since I don't use any social crap so the contacts screens are bare for me.

4. dB Zac

dB Zac Well-Known Member

I did expect this to be the case but wishful thinking combined with the "with google" trade mark, I was hoping it would integrate better. I don't feel that a phone that doesn't integrate completely with all google apps should be a full google experience phone anyways. This issue alone makes me want a vanilla version of Android.

5. Bug Splat

Bug Splat Well-Known Member

Just don't use Sense at all. I don't. Much much easier to just add a contact in Gmail or GV and it automatically gets sucked down to your phone in seconds and you have a backup online if you ever have to switch phones or just want to work offline.

6. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

I agree. I have found Sense UI not to really be about me ("you") but more what HTC wants me to be.

I say piss off to Faceboo, Twitter, and Flicker. Hello to Picasa, GMail, and Google Voice. Plus the add a widget button on the launcher is a waste of a button.