Google Voice and Verizon voice mail

Last Updated:

1. josh0875

josh0875 Member This Topic's Starter

Guys need help on setting up GV voice mail on DROID.

I changed the voicemail number from *86 (verizon default) to my google voice number. This works when I am not answering the phone and I the caller gets connected to my GV account. But when my phone is not in coverage the caller gets my verizon voicemail.

Appreciate if someone can correct my settings or suggest any app that does it. I am from Windows mobile world and missing those settings when you can define several settings for voice mail (unanswered, rejected, unavailable etc...)

TIA

Advertisement
  2. bigbee

bigbee Well-Known Member

*86 is only for voicemail retrieval. If you are using Google Voice with an existing number, you need to set up No Answer Transfer by dialing *71+[your GV deposit number] on your phone. If you are using GV with a Google number, then see here.

3. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Login in to your google voice account on your computer. Then click on settings in the upper right corner. You need to add you droid to your phones there if you haven't done so yet, then beside your droid number you can click on "activate google voicemail on this phone". When you do that it will give you a number to call from your phone, call it and then you are all set, all of your calls will automatically go to your google voicemail instead of verizon.

4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Also when you are done setting up be sure to download the google voice app from the market. then you never have to "dial in" at all.

5. nicknrm

nicknrm Member

I started using YouMail but would LOVE to use Google Voice...but...

I have an issue: I previously created an account (before I had DROID and before a referral was required). Apparently this number I created forever ago is still linked to my Verizon cell phone number...therefore it won't allow me to create a new account using my same Verizon cell phone number. I do have a referral and everything...but because I can't figure out the login information to my old account...i'm at a loss. The email address and everything is completely different...I've tried everything (and I'm fairly tech savvy) and nothing works!

Anyone have an ideas? It there an easy way to contact Google to let them know of this and have them unlink Google Voice to my cell phone number? HELP.

6. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

Strange I have a couple google # and I switch # to a different phone. Google just unassigns the old number to that phone. I have to go to that google account in order to reassign it to a phone. System will only allow one google voice number per phone at any one time. When new number is added to a phone and the phone is called and confirmed that you have the phone (2 digit code),the previous number is unassigned and put on hold.
    I bet you are not comfirming the new phone GV# and trying to just do it all on the internet.