• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google voice and verizon

tjreishus

Android Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2009
I have a few questions about google voice and verizon. I am currently on a plan where I have 10 friends outside of verizon that are now in my circle. Now that I have google voice, does this change anything?

I have the droid and just downloaded the google voice app. I have seen that people are saying that sms messages don't get pushed, but it looks like they are through the google voice app? Am I missing something? Can I now cancel my sms service through verizon so I am not paying ANY sms fees?

It looks like I am getting sms messages the same as I always did, how do I sms through google voice on the droid?

thanks for your help in advance

One of the links at the top should be Settings. Click on that and select the phone tab. You should see your mobile here, assuming you've already associated it with your GV account. If you click Edit you'll see the option. Also, under the Voicemail & SMS tab you may want to uncheck to send SMS for Voicemail Notifications. I'm not sure if it continues to send notifications if it's unchecked under a specific phone or not.

Upvote 0
The other problem that I am having is that GV says you can send SMS messages. I can't find how to do this from the web or from my GV app on my droid

From the Droid GV app, you just hit the Menu Key > Compose. From the web, there's an SMS button right at the top left under the Google Voice logo. Just click that and type a phone number or contact name. Simple.

As for incoming SMS messages, you should not have to change any settings. If someone sends an SMS to your GV phone number, it should pop up in your GV app automatically, then if you have notifications on (on your phone app settings) you will get a notification.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones