1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Google voice and verizon

Last Updated:

1. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a few questions about google voice and verizon. I am currently on a plan where I have 10 friends outside of verizon that are now in my circle. Now that I have google voice, does this change anything?

I have the droid and just downloaded the google voice app. I have seen that people are saying that sms messages don't get pushed, but it looks like they are through the google voice app? Am I missing something? Can I now cancel my sms service through verizon so I am not paying ANY sms fees?

It looks like I am getting sms messages the same as I always did, how do I sms through google voice on the droid?

thanks for your help in advance

Advertisement
  2. phwaap

phwaap Well-Known Member

Go to your account via the web and, under settings for your mobile, uncheck "Receive SMS on this phone". You'll then need to use one of the GV apps or the browser to send text messages. If you cancel your SMS you won't be able to send/get MMS until GV adds the functionality though.

3. tjreishus

OK, I just tried this. Logged into GV on my laptop, went to setting, phones, but it just has my name, number, voicemail access, and forwarding. I don't see any options for sms

4. phwaap

phwaap Well-Known Member

One of the links at the top should be Settings. Click on that and select the phone tab. You should see your mobile here, assuming you've already associated it with your GV account. If you click Edit you'll see the option. Also, under the Voicemail & SMS tab you may want to uncheck to send SMS for Voicemail Notifications. I'm not sure if it continues to send notifications if it's unchecked under a specific phone or not.

5. tjreishus

Thats exactly where I am looking but the option is not there for me.

6. tjreishus

The other problem that I am having is that GV says you can send SMS messages. I can't find how to do this from the web or from my GV app on my droid

7. googlevoiceinvites

googlevoiceinvites New Member

Please add you friends phone number to you google voice.

8. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

From the Droid GV app, you just hit the Menu Key > Compose. From the web, there's an SMS button right at the top left under the Google Voice logo. Just click that and type a phone number or contact name. Simple.

As for incoming SMS messages, you should not have to change any settings. If someone sends an SMS to your GV phone number, it should pop up in your GV app automatically, then if you have notifications on (on your phone app settings) you will get a notification.

9. tjreishus

something is obviously set up wrong with my google voice. I don't have any of these options.

From the GV app, Menu Key > all I have is refresh, labels, settings, and help

From the Web in the top left under the google voice logo I have a "CALL" button.... thats it. No SMS.

10. tjreishus

Found the answer to my question. I signed up using existing number, not to use a google number. SMS is not available when using existing number.

11. edenofgarden

edenofgarden New Member

I have another question... can GV send/receive mms messages as well?

12. phwaap

phwaap Well-Known Member

Not yet.