1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Google Voice AppSupport

1. mcsmithnyc

mcsmithnyc Member

Hi everyone - used to have an iPhone and the lack of google voice as an app caused me to sell it. I'm currently thinking about getting an Android, but haven't been able to find any information on the web about how the google voice app actually works on the droid...is it like the GV Dialer for the iPhone where you call the number from the app and then google calls you back etc.? Does anyone know of any video reviews of the app ... I haven't been able to find any.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

I've never seen the iphone app, so I have no idea how that works exactly, but it doesn't call you back, no.

Here's what the google made GV app does. It's interface is set up to be more for the visual voicemail and SMS functions. HOWEVER it comes with a built in shortcut that you can add to the desktop. It's a toggle that with each tap lets you:
    1-Ask to use Google Voice before each call,
    2-Use Google Voice for All Calls,
    3-Only use Google Voice for International Calls,
    4-Do Not use Google Voice for any calls

I need to look at my bill to find out what happens when you enable the toggle, as far as what does my carrier think is going on. I'm hoping that it automatically dials out using my GV number and since I have the GV number as a myfave, the call shouldn't count against my minutes.

When you make a call after toggling to the "use google voice for all calls" a little box appears at the bottom of the calling screen that tells you that you're making the call with google voice. It disappears pretty quickly after the other end starts ringing.

The integration is pretty seemless, I've had people call, and since I have GV set up to deliver the call with the caller's ID (instead of the GV caller ID) it does so without any indication. A little confusing until you get that notification that you have a new GV voicemail.