Google Voice as text replacementGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Kaessa

Kaessa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know if you can set Google Voice to replace your default text application? I know you can text through the GV app, but I was wondering if you could set it up to work through the text app or Handcent.

Advertisement
  2. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

you cant use it through handcent....... and you cant use it as your DEFAULT text.....

you can use it for your sole source of texting if you like....... the problem is you have to make sure everyone sends to your GV # instead of your phone #......... and you have to use the GV app

3. Kaessa

Kaessa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

That's what I was thinking. I was hoping someone had figured out a way. Oh well. :(

4. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut? VIP Member

Hey, I just signed up for my Google Voice number and installed the app on my phone. I have been using it as my default for making calls and voicemail. Love it so far, the voicemail transcriptions are hilarious sometimes.

Anyone have any fun or cool tricks or uses for Google Voice that aren't laid out and obvious?
    What is your favorite part of GV?

5. copestag

as a coincidence to thread topic...... my favorite part of GV is the fact that I can use it for all my texting........ I dont have too many people who send text to me so the few all know to send to my GV number...... and I can send to anyone using the GV app...... this saves me a few $$ each month on my bill

in fact thats the only thing I use GV for..... I dont use it for any calls or voicemail...... I have plenty of unused minutes each month so I see no reason to use GV for this........ but I opted not to have any texting plan through VZW since its free with GV

6. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut? VIP Member

So, let me get this straight.
    When using GV, I am not using my talk minutes from Verizon? Am I using data? If so, can I use a wifi connection in the absence of a 3g signal?

7. copestag

well theyve made some changes to the app so I dont know if someones worked around the changes or not.......

the way it used to work was... when you place a call through GV you would dial their general number ....... then their server would dial the number for you....... this meant you were always dialing the same number.. you could put that number in your friends in family which is unlimited....... and from the other end callers would dial your GV number which would come to your phone from that same general number ...... this made phone calls free and unlimited...

with the changes they made it actually assigned seperate GV numbers to each unique caller....... which meant you couldnt put every number in your friends in family.... so like I said...... I never used that feature of GV so dont know if someone has found a workaround or not......

I know for a while people were scrambling to find an older version of the GV app to make it work

it does still work for unlimited free texting...... as long as you send from the GV app...... and as long as people who text you send to your GV #

8. byteware

byteware Well-Known Member

I blocked text messages to my phone, and solely use my GV number for texting.