Google Voice *blows* on the eris?General

Last Updated:

1. thrawn86

thrawn86 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've posted about keyboard lag in GV before but no one else seemed to have issues. I've started texing a bit more and what I notice is that this application is horridly slow. 5-10 second lag on hitting send, freeze when receiving new texts, and lord help you if you receive a text WHILE typing.

Either someone needs to figure out how to run GV through handcent, or I'm going to just use the mobileweb interface from now on.

I've tried 3 different versions of GV and two different roms (both xtr), what am I doing wrong? :(

Advertisement
  2. Pegleg

Pegleg Well-Known Member

Not sure what your problem is...why are you using Handcent? I just use the GV app and have no problems, no keyboard lag.

3. thrawn86

every now and then I get a "real" text from a friend who doesn't have my GV number, so I keep it installed.

I'm going to try the xtr 4.5 beta with the new kernel at some point this week, so hopefully that will improve things.

4. iggypop123

iggypop123 Well-Known Member

its hit or miss. im rooted and sometimes experience that lag but at the end of the day i love free texting

5. MJL

MJL Well-Known Member

Probably the new update to GV. There have been lots of complaints on their app's comment page about lag with the new version that supports widgets. I have rolled back to an earlier version and dont have any lag anymore. Also with the newest version I was having a delay in txts being delivered and received to other GV users. Older version doesnt have that problem for me now.

6. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

As soon as 3.5 hit, ALL of the lag started. The latest version, that is.

I hit call, sometimes I wait 5-10 seconds for the Google Voice 'With Google Voice/Without Google Voice' prompt to come up, if I have it set to do that, when I try to call someone.

Sometimes 5-10 seconds between clicking the Icon and the app opening too. Or clicking on a conversation and having it pull up.

The latest version is NOTICABLY laggier than the last one. It's pretty rough on the Eris.

7. thrawn86

this is exactly it. which version are you using? I'm guessing there's older apk's floating around out there.

8. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

thrawn86 likes this.
  9. thrawn86

thanks. I don't even know if I was using google voice at that point, but every version i've used has had some form of lag.

edit: still not the speediest app, but damn if it didn't fix the kb lag. thanks