1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Google Voice Call Quality -- How is a call routed if you have GV make the call?

Last Updated:

1. Jay3

Jay3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I use Google Voice (love it) primarily because of it's visual voicemail on my Droid. I do have a Google Voice number, and I'm trying to decide whether to set the Droid app to "make calls using Google Voice" or not.

I have no problem with giving out a different number, and my placed calls seeing the GV number in caller ID.

My question is, does this affect how the call is actually connected, from a quality standpoint? I tired a call both ways, and the sound quality seemed a little bit different. But then, I am an obsessive compulsive weirdo.

Does anyone know? Is there any difference in call quality or routing between making a native Verizon call and a Google Voice call on Droid? (Like, does Google voice actual use 3G to connect to Google server over the internetz, then place the phone call?)

Advertisement
  2. Jay3

Jay3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Bump -- anybody know the answer to this?

3. seniordev1

seniordev1 Member

I'm not sure of the internals of how calls are handled, but I can tell you what I think is happening.

I use Google Voice for outgoing and incoming, and have my VM pegged to use it.

Calls via GV seem to have a slightly lower quality than calls using Verizon's native calling.

My voice minutes are still used when I use GV to make a call. However, they are not used when I put GV's outgoing number as one of my favorites. Note: I cut my plan to 45 minutes figuring on using favorites, only to find the 45 minute plan does not have favorites!

Finally, GV does NOT use the 3G connection, as I can't connect to the internet while on a GV call. That indicates to me that it's using the normal voice channel.

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Yup. GV is not VOIP. I'm not sure why people assume it is. That's why it uses voice minutes if the access number isn't in your circle/list.