• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Voice - Callers not always getting voicemail

gatorbri

Apr 30, 2010
So I have had Google Voice for the past month or so. I have had several people call me and I let it go to Voicemail and then they later tell me that the voicemail wouldn't work for them. They say they don't get my message and instead get some form of automated message that cuts out about halfway through and then ends the call.

Anybody else have any issues like this or know of anything I should do to try and fix it? Are there any known issues with Google Voicemail not always operating correctly and allowing people to hear your custom voice message and leave a voicemail?

It sounds like the callers are going to the voicemail system of one of your forwarding phones rather than your GV voicemail. That's pretty common, especially if the other system is set to pick up on fewer rings.

If you can change the other vm to not pick up at all or pick up on more rings, that's a possible solution.

The other solution is to turn on Call Screening in your GV settings (on the web). You'll have to hit the "1" key after you pick up, but there's no chance of one the other forwarding phone's vm system to pick up that way.

Upvote 0
The other solution is to turn on Call Screening in your GV settings (on the web). You'll have to hit the "1" key after you pick up, but there's no chance of one the other forwarding phone's vm system to pick up that way.

This is the method I use. It asks the person calling to state their name and GV will attempt to locate me. Then it rings my phone and I have the choice to hit "1" to pick up or "2" to send to VM.

Upvote 0
I don't have any call forwarding on though. I don't have a Google Number, just Google Voicemail.

So do you think it is just my Verizon Voicemail picking up first? Is there a way to set it to more rings?

I hardly ever let a call go to voicemail so I don't know exactly how often this is happening or what the voicemail that picks up instead of Google Voice sounds like or says. I was just told by a couple of people that it is an digital woman's voice and that it cuts off mid-sentence.

Upvote 0
So I just called customer service and the lady said she didn't think there was a way to do that anymore. So I tell her to check on it so she calls technical support and they said that they have permanently disabled that feature and you can no longer change it.

Can that be true? So we are seriously stuck with 4 rings or whatever it is set at?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones