Google Voice Confusion

Last Updated:

1. SinfulDragon

SinfulDragon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so I have Google Voice and when I joined I opted for a GV number.
    Great, works great, txts, calls all that jazz.

Not sure if its new with the update or I just haven't noticed it before but in Settings, Call Settings, Voicemail Service there is an option for Google Voice... SAWEET right? Wrong.
    Take the option and it shows A my GV Number, not the phones (may be normal? A forward of the message maybe?) and B Carrier Configuration comes up telling me to dial *715555555555 (not actual number of course).
    Try to call and no dice, just hangs up on me, press OK and it goes to Call Settings and just spins on Reading Settings.

So, in short. With having chose to have the GV Number, am I also able to get the GV to control my VM?

Advertisement
  2. SinfulDragon

Ok, no clue why but this time going through what I wrote above.... worked! it stopped spinning after about 5 minutes and a VM came through GV!!!
    AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

yea thats how GV setting up your vmail works. the call is suppose to hang up and it usually spins for a bit on reading settings

4. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I never bothered changing my VM setting. I always just dialed that number they tell you to dial on the first run of the GV app. It hangs up after 3-4 seconds of beeping and after that, all of your calls (to either the GV or your Verizon number) can be read and listened to in your GV inbox.

5. SinfulDragon

was it always like this?
    I thought that when you decided to get the GV Number you lost the ability to do the VVM from your VZW Number

6. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

if you dont change you vm to GV on your phone the only way to get vm from your verizon number is for someone to call it

7. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

It has always been that way. You busy/transfer (*71) your phone to get GVM. To get out of it dial *73 and your phone will be back to normal. With both Vvm and Gvm, depending on which number was dialed.
    You can only use one special feature (*) at a time. So Call Forward *72 and Block Caller ID *67 will not work until the phone is cleared (*73).

8. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I don't know but people that don't even know my GV number and that I know would use my Verizon number either way (they want the free minutes and they don't text) can leave me voicemails and they get transcribed after a few minutes in my GV inbox.

9. xp2002

xp2002 Member

Wish I could use google voice! Been waiting for an inv for over a month.

10. dougwilson2000

dougwilson2000 Well-Known Member

You do not need the *71 unless you do not want Verizon voice mail at all. I keep mine cleared *73, so I can use other features. Beside Vvm is faster but no read out.