• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice doesn't work in my state via Verizon

Demache

Android Expert
Apr 18, 2010
Sioux Falls, SD
Does anyone else have a similar problem as this? I cannot reach my voicemail with Google Voice, ANYWHERE in my state (South Dakota) via Verizon. I always get a "number could not be completed as dialed error". Its been doing it ever since I signed up for Google Voice about a month ago. However, if I call from my home phone, it works perfectly fine.

But then, as soon as I cross the border and get a tower in Minnesota or Iowa, it goes through and works perfectly fine.

Its not a crucial issue, since I'm just using standard Verizon voicemail until I can get it working. Would this be something worth bringing up with VZW customer support?

For what its worth, a few months back we switched to T-Mobile from our old provider (Unicel) in hopes of more coverage. We did get more coverage, but we had the EXACT same problem as listed above. It was actually the reason we switched to Verizon. No Verizon customers in our state could call our numbers on T-Mobile. If they were out of state, they went through perfectly.

I wonder if its a recurring issue with Verizon Wireless in South Dakota....

GV requires you to dial the area code. I don't know if this is the problem. Just offering support for the previous responder.
Yes. I would have had to dial the area code anyway to get it to work out of state. Its a habit from our old cell phone company that REQUIRED the area code, regardless of your phone's area code. That's actually how I got it to work with the land line (it was a bit more up front, since the phone company said it was a long distance call). But my Verizon phone still can't connect regardless. I have tried putting 1 in front of the area code with no avail.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones