Google Voice FC

Last Updated:

1. kkarlin

kkarlin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have had a Google Voice account for about 8 months. During that time I've used a G1, BB8700 and BH2 with the service. By far the BH2 is the worst. I get FC's all the time and the lag when making a call is absurd. I have to wait 10 - 30 seconds for the call to begin, then once the screen finally reflects that a call is being made it takes another 10-15 seconds for the call to begin ringing. In bound seems better, but it makes it hard to use efficiently. Also, I can't stand the fact that there isn't a "Use Google Voice" context menue when placing a call so that by default I use my regular phone number, but can easily switch to using my GV account when I want to. The BB app had this feature and it was awesome - it seems absurd to have to launch the GV app to make a call simply because I havent selected GV to be used for all calls. OK, rant over. Does anyone have a positive experience with GV? Am I just being unreasonable (wouldnt be the first time ;) ) Thanks for any and all feedback / suggestions.

K

Advertisement
  2. Mastermind278

Mastermind278 Well-Known Member

The FC is only on boot. Through my research it is an Android 1.5 bug with Google Voice 0.30. I have stated it to Google but they are yet to fix the problem. You can try an older version of Google Voice (0.28) but that will double send text messages.

There is an option that while making a call it will ask each and every time. If you to Settings and Making calls you can find it there. The option also exists while setting up Google Voice from an install. There also is a SHORTCUT (long press on home screen, SHORTCUT, Toggle Google Voice, and you will be able to choose how calls are routed.

Besides the FC on boot (Which is annoying) Google Voice works fine... Now if only they implemented Push for SMS.

3. kkarlin

kkarlin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the quick feedback. I get periodic FC's with GV, not just on boot. Having said that on BH_Man's ROM I dont recall that I have had a FC other than boot. I know I can set the option to ask for every call but that (for me) is way to much extra work. By that I mean that 90% of my calls I want to make using my phone the others I want to make using GV, I have settled on using the toggle as you mentioned, but I have to remember to switch it back after the call so that my next call doesn't go out using the "wrong" transport / number.
    What's your experience with the applications performance? Are you seeing serious lag when placing calls?

K

4. Mastermind278

Mastermind278 Well-Known Member

There is a bit of a lag, but not to horrible. I think it is because it is dialing the GV server than placing your call.