Google Voice for free texting

Last Updated:

1. xHardxCorex-

xHardxCorex- New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,
    I was thinking of switching to Verizon and getting the LG Ally but I don't want to pay for unlimited texting if I can get it for free via google voice.
    So If I get google voice will I be able to use it for free texting and if so how does it work exactly?
    thanks.

Advertisement
  2. FireChief

FireChief Well-Known Member

Yes, you can and will be able to use GV for "free" texting with Verizon.

Get your phone, download the Google Voice App and follow the prompts.. You'll be up and running in short order..

Give people you want to text your Google Voice number.. NOT your Verizon phone number..

you will then always send your SMS messages from the Google Voice app, NOT the "messaging" app in the phone..

3. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

Can also set up to get text forwarded to email and reply via email. Just another option to manage GV texts.

4. smacky

smacky Banned

Remember, you can also log in to GV on your computer and simply type texts from your computer and receive them on your phone and/or computer.

5. enc0re

enc0re Member

I do this on my iPod Touch right now, making it a very nice texting device when WiFi is available.

6. Jackall

Jackall New Member

Is it possible to be notified when someone texts my verizon number without using up texts? All i want to do is see who texted me so i can text them back on my google voice number.

7. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member

Not for free its not, just tell everybody that you got a new number, thats what I did, i use my GV number for calls and texts on my LG Ally 24/7, never had an issue.

8. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

Just don't give anyone your VZW number and you won't have to worry about it. The problem is GVoice doesn't support MMS, so if people try to send you any it won't work.

9. Phateless

Phateless Well-Known Member

Yeah I've thought about using GV as my main number just so I don't have to worry about porting, etc. I love that it screens numbers that aren't in my contacts.

10. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

Yes, I have been using GV as my "main" number for quite a while.