• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice for just visual voicemail

As far as I'm aware you must use Google Voice's # for visual voicemail/text logging.

They recently allowed you to use your own number but the features are way limited then using theirs from what I understand. Can someone elaborate?

I have Google Voice but do not use the GV number. If someone calls my regular number and it goes to voicemail, I see the message online at GV or I can see it in GV on my phone. I can also hit a link to listen to the message. I don't ever have to call to see who left a message or listen to it.

Upvote 0
Thanks Barbara, would you mind sharing your GV settings, so I can make sure I have mine set up correctly?

Thanks

In Settings on the google voice webpage I checked the Forwards to Mobile check box and put in my verizon phone number.

Under Voicemail and SMS I checked Email message to and put in my email address. Send a text SMS message to I checked Mobile.

Those are the only settings I put in. (I think.)

ETA: I also have checked Transcribe Voicemails on the Voicemail and SMS settings page.

Upvote 0
I have another question again.
1. What number do I use to call and check my voice mail, google number??
2. If I delete them from the GV app on the phone they are deleted from the voice mail inbox correct?
3. Verzion dosen't charge for this correct, guess I can verify that oline in my account.

Thanks again you have been a great help

Upvote 0
I have another question again.
1. What number do I use to call and check my voice mail, google number??
2. If I delete them from the GV app on the phone they are deleted from the voice mail inbox correct?
3. Verzion dosen't charge for this correct, guess I can verify that oline in my account.

Thanks again you have been a great help

You don't need to call any number. You will get a text transcription of the voicemail in your email and you will get a notification on your phone. You can also go to www.google.com/voice and log into your voice account in order to see the transcription. If you still want to hear it (since the transcription is not 100% accurate) there is a link to click and you can listen to the voicemail without calling anything. You don't have to waste minutes listening to voicemails that are unnecessary anyway.

Upvote 0
You should be able to activate Google Voicemail on a certain number in your Google Voice settings under Phones. When someone calls my phone number Google Voice transcribes it for me and it goes into my Google Voicemail Inbox. I don't use the SMS or email notifications, when I see a missed call I open my GV app on my Droid and check the message there, no calls to any voicemail numbers or anything.

Upvote 0
You should be able to activate Google Voicemail on a certain number in your Google Voice settings under Phones. When someone calls my phone number Google Voice transcribes it for me and it goes into my Google Voicemail Inbox. I don't use the SMS or email notifications, when I see a missed call I open my GV app on my Droid and check the message there, no calls to any voicemail numbers or anything.

Yeah, I think I might need to tone it down a bit. I just tested it by calling *86 which called my voicemail. I got a notification on my computer that I had a new gmail message (notifying me of the voicemail), a notification on my phone that I had a new gmail message, a text message on my phone telling me that I had a voicemail and a notification in my notification bar that I had a voicemail. Just a bit much. :eek:

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think I might need to tone it down a bit. I just tested it by calling *86 which called my voicemail. I got a notification on my computer that I had a new gmail message (notifying me of the voicemail), a notification on my phone that I had a new gmail message, a text message on my phone telling me that I had a voicemail and a notification in my notification bar that I had a voicemail. Just a bit much. :eek:

That's the reason I turned all those off, hehe. I would be at work, knew I missed a call, and then get 3 notifications on my phone.

Upvote 0
ok so i just got my google voice invite...im liking it. but what about visual voicemail? have you guys just dropped it now that you have this? and how can i get all my vmails i have saved on my visual vmail to my gvoice acccount? any way to do that? i am a HUGE fan of google lately. they are awesome. im just trying to decide how i can use these new things that they are making to their fullest capabilities.

Upvote 0
ok so i just got my google voice invite...im liking it. but what about visual voicemail? have you guys just dropped it now that you have this? and how can i get all my vmails i have saved on my visual vmail to my gvoice acccount? any way to do that? i am a HUGE fan of google lately. they are awesome. im just trying to decide how i can use these new things that they are making to their fullest capabilities.

I never used Verizon Visual Vmail and as far as I know you can't move your voicemails over to Google Voice, that would be like trying to move your voicemails from an old answering machine to a new one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones