Google voice for moronsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Teris

Teris Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I set up a google voice account today on my computer, which called my Inc. I set up my outgoing message, tried a test call and both my computer and phone received a message via Handcent and Gmail with the typed transcript (the gmail included the voice call to play back). Excellent, though I coukd do without it coming on Handcent if I'm already getting it via gmail.

Some questions:

1) What is the point of the google voice app on the android (as opposed to the way I set it up) if the emails come int to my google email with the transcript and voice recording already?

2) Is there something additional that the google voice app from the market does that I'm not currently getting?

3) I can't figure out how I can make calls without using my minutes. Can someone please explain to me how I go about setting that up? In particular, I'm going to Japan in June and want to be able to make calls back to the US inexpensively or for free.

4) How can I stop receiving the google voice messages in Handcent?

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement
  2. drhill

drhill Well-Known Member

You can look at your google voice inbox with the app.

Teris likes this.
  3. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy Well-Known Member

You can also compose text messages that you send via your google voice number from the app. I believe these use data rather than a text, but you may want to verify that.

Teris likes this.
  4. Teris

Will the app overwrite what's on my phone now? It asks me if I want to use google voice to make international calls or not when I add it to my phone. I don't even know what that means. Does that mean I'm using data and not minutes?

5. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

I can confirm that texts sent through google voice do count as data. I have texting blocked to my real number and use GV to send all of mine.

It won't overwrite anything. Don't worry about international calls unless you actually make them. You will have to buy credit through GV to use it anyway. You do not use data when making phone calls, it counts under your minutes. The best thing you can do is set your GV number as a friends and family if you have the option to. It will give you free outgoing calls if you do this.

Teris likes this.
  6. tudmf

tudmf Well-Known Member

You can go into your google voice account settings and turn off SMS, and only receive the email. The app will walk you through setup again, but did not screw up any settings, I really like having the app and have it to quickly reference previous calls.

cb85215 and Teris like this.
  7. whiskeyguy

I don't receive emails or SMS notifying me of voicemail... the app does this in the notification bar if you tell it to under settings.

Teris likes this.
  8. jakewill

jakewill Well-Known Member

9. Teris

10. whiskeyguy

Either. You now have two numbers. If you go into the google voice website, you can change your settings based on what you want to do with the number. You can have the second one forward to any or all phones you have, or just have it go to voicemail. You can also use it exclusively, occasionally, or never to make calls from your phone (you will still be docked minutes). Also, via the website or app, you can send/receive sms on that number.

Edit: Both numbers use the same voicemail inbox, which will show on your app.

Teris likes this.
  11. gnopgip

gnopgip Member

You're better off using the Google phone number, at least if you plan to text exclusively through it. People will need to use that phone number when they text you, which allows you to cancel your text contract, like I did. You can still make/receive calls using either number though.

Teris likes this.
  12. rcicu

rcicu Well-Known Member

you can use SIPDroid and Gizmo5 with Gvoice to make unlimited calls via 3G or WiFi....

Teris likes this.
  13. Teris

Is this difficult to set up for a non-tech person? Can I use this to make calls from Japan to the US (I'm going there on vacation)?

14. Teris

They're both google phone numbers. Do you mean the one I got from my computer versus the one from the Inc app?

15. cth95mustang

cth95mustang Well-Known Member

If anyone has any Google Voice invites, I would be very thankful for one. I sent my request to Google 7 months ago, and still haven't received it yet. Just PM me if you have one.

Got one!

16. gnopgip

gnopgip Member

You want to use the one that google issued you, not your voicemail number. If you login to Google voice, you'll see a number on the upper right part of the screen. That is your issued number, and will be the one you can text from, forward calls to, etc.

17. alison03

alison03 Well-Known Member

if I only mainly want to use Google Voice for the free texts, do I still need a new number? I only have 1 phone (no office or home phone, just my cell) so I worry that this is too much complication just to have free texts. I don't need to call internationally nor do I need free minutes since all of my friends/family are on Verizon (we use like 18 minutes a month on our 700 minute plan).

What do I need to do just to get the free texts? I've been reading up and have an invite waiting for me, but I'm so lost.

18. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

You have to give out your Google voice number after you sign up. People will send text messages to it and they will be sent to your phone and counted as data.

19. ghettosmurf60

ghettosmurf60 Active Member

but how do you get google voice to stop forwarding the messages to your phone?

20. gnopgip

gnopgip Member

You can change the settings on the google voice website. Basically, you can delete the phone number association.

21. azgunz

azgunz Well-Known Member

pretty legit, cant wait to fully utilize GV

22. pirate943

pirate943 Well-Known Member

where is google voice? installed it from the market and i cant find it!

23. PossumK

PossumK Well-Known Member

The app name is Voice.

pirate943 likes this.
  24. pirate943

pirate943 Well-Known Member

cool, thanks man. but when i try and verify my number i get an error. i already set up a google voice account and can access it through the web and can acess the google voice mail on my phone, is there a reason that i shouldnt be able to verify my number through the app?

25. whiskeyguy

Maybe make sure your cell number is associated with it through the web settings?