Google Voice: Getting StartedSupport

Last Updated:

1. GreatGoo

GreatGoo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

May 8, 2010
    Sorry if a thread already exists, I didn't see a thread for a novice.

FYI - I'm currently waiting for my dinc, I have a blackberry right now.

I set up my google voice today but i really have no idea to use it. I didn't elect to do the google number thing. I really don't want to get my house calls on my cell phone. Maybe I'm missing something about it?

My real question is with the voicemail part. So I now have this crazy area code number to call to access my voicemail. I'm guessing that cost some money. How do people work around that?

Also, i see people discussing about calling with GV. That probably comes with a droid app?

Sorry, I'm totally lost.

Any help would be much appreciated! :D

2. jakewill

jakewill Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
  3. cth95mustang

cth95mustang Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009

If anyone has a GV invite, I'd greatly appreciate it. Google's waiting list is crazy. 7 months now.
  4. live4spd

live4spd Guest

FWIW you can buy the Google Voice invites off ebay for only $3 or $4.
  5. anticipator

anticipator Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Don't know how you set yours up, but I simply bought a google voice number (chose my own number option), then you can choose your local area code or metro number, not long distance. You can then from your cell, dial that number, press 1 to get your voice mail, or 2 to place a call. With 2, you can then dial any number in the US or Canada free. You can dial anywhere in the world for that matter (you can buy goog minutes for world calls). You still use your minutes according to your minute plan, unless after peak/weekend, unless you have a friend/family number or favs, something like that, then that number can be used as one of your friends/favs, etc, then no minutes.
    Stole 71 likes this.