Google Voice Help

Last Updated:

1. mattparmely

mattparmely Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey so I jsut got an invite.. I read the email they sent me after I got signed up:

Welcome to Google Voice! Google Voice gives you a single phone number that rings all your phones, saves your voicemail online, and transcribes your voicemail to text. Other cool features include the ability to listen in on messages while they are being left and the ability to make low cost international calls. To start enjoying Google Voice, just give out your Google Voice number. You can record custom greetings for your favorite callers or block annoying callers by marking them as SPAM. Just click on the settings link at the top of your inbox. We hope you enjoy Google Voice.

What im curious about is what exactly can I do with this? I understand the above text but does this mean if I give someone my goggle number it also rings on my connected cell phjone number i entered in? Can someone maybe break google voice down for me. I have seen other threads but I am still a bit confused. Like, I get it, but I don't haha if that makes sense.
    Oh and how will I use this with my Droid?

Advertisement
  2. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member

There's an app in the Android market for Google Voice, so you'll be able to use it on your Droid. It will prompt you when you make a call if you want to use Google Voice to make the call. It should be very well integrated into the calling features of the phone.

I use Google Voice for several things. My favorite aspect is that it transcribes voicemail messages - not perfectly, but enough so that I know whether or not I need to listen to the voicemail or call the person back right away. Great for when you're sitting in a meeting and can't make a call. I also use it to direct calls to different phones to lessen my cell phone minutes used. One of the best features is if you have a phone plan that allows you to set up favorite numbers that don't use your minutes. Set up Google Voice to always ring through showing your Google Voice number, then set up your Google Voice number on your favorites list with Verizon. Every call that comes in or out (when you dial out using Google Voice) will be free. You can also set it up so that when a call comes through it announces the caller, so you don't have caller ID showing who it is, but before you accept the call, you know who is calling. After the call is announced you have the option to answer it, send it straight to voice mail, or send it to voicemail and listen in on the message as it's being left (this is my favorite way to take calls from my ex-husband!).

You can set up voicemail greetings for individuals and groups, very handy if you use the phone for work and home. Finally, say you take a call on your office line via Google Voice, but need to leave the office in the middle of the call and head out the door. You can hit the star key on your phone and the other phones on your Google Voice plan will ring, pick up your cell phone and continue the call without the person you're talking to being the wiser.

When I first got Google Voice, I felt like it was a solution to a problem I didn't have. Now that I've been using it for a few months, I'm loving it. I definitely love giving the number out to people I don't know very well - without having to worry about them tracking me down. Google Voice also allows you to have numbers that are automatically sent to voicemail whenever they call. Very handy. Good luck!

3. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

see, I read in another thread that if you set it up so the caller's number shows up in your caller ID, that it still would NOT be counted as a mobile-to-mobile call (provided the caller was using a mobile); as far a VZW was concerned, the call was coming from the GV number regardless of what you're caller ID says.

If this is the case, it would seem putting GV as a "Fav" would mean all calls to the GV number are free.

Have you been able to confirm this?

4. gadgetmom88

gadgetmom88 Well-Known Member

I have not confirmed this on Verizon - that's how it worked on AT&T with my iPhone. I'd love it if I was wrong and you could leave it with the caller ID of the caller. This is the way I've seen people do it on tmobile too, so we'll see what Verizon requires.

5. rawness

^

OK, after looking more closely at Verizon's "Fav" which they call Friends & Family it appears you only get to speak to your fav for free if YOU CALL THEM. Incoming calls aren't included.

I'm not sure about this, but all the wording on VZW's website seems to deliberately say, always, that "you can call...".

I've had the ability to add numbers to this but I haven't, does anyone who uses the feature know for sure?

6. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

I looked it up in a forum and the answer was that it is incoming and outgoing. The answer came from someone claiming to be a verizon employee.

Charges for Friends and Family - Verizon Community

Jagger-vzw message on 4/3 at 10:29 a.m.

7. rawness

^
    Thanks!

8. bwsmith

bwsmith Well-Known Member

Now the Google Voice page page says that it will be weeks before they send out more invites? Could this be because of the Droid launch?

9. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

I signed up for an invite yesterday. Then went to Ebay and bought one for $1.99. Of course about an hour ago I got my invite in my email...