1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Google Voice: Inbound or Outbound Calls - Which one is free?

Last Updated:

1. shizane101

shizane101 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Just a quick question:

I've read confusing information about this on the Internet. I don't know why I can't seem to find a clear answer on this. Maybe it has something to do with Google buying Gizmo5 and now the rules have changed. I think a lot of the articles I read about it now are outdated and aren't correct anymore

In any case, can someone please tell me which type of call, inbound or outbound, is free? When I say free, I mean which one only uses your data plan and doesn't count against your cell minutes.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

neither uses your data plan unless you have voip. Google voice itself uses voice minutes.

3. regression

regression Well-Known Member

Google did purchase Gizmo5, but as of now, it hasn't changed anything in Google Voice. Of course, it looks like in the future Google will have a VOIP solution, but as of now, as russell5 said, it uses voice minutes.

4. clobber

clobber Well-Known Member

If you run a sip client on your phone (like sipdroid) and then have Google Voice set up to call the phone number associated with your SIP account (*not* your normal cell phone number), the call will use your data connection only. You can both make and take calls this way only using the data connection.

As others have stated, just using the normal google voice will use your cell minutes - since the U.S. cell phone providers "charge" for incoming calls.

5. shizane101

shizane101 Active Member This Topic's Starter

What about SMS and MMS? Are both send and receive free?

6. russell5

russell5 Well-Known Member

as long as you don't have google voice set to forward your sms to your cellphone they are free

7. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

IIRC GV doesn't handle MMS though.

As stated above, GV isn't VOIP (not sure why this is such a common misconception) and doesn't use data for calls.

There are guides all across the internet on how to get free calls using GV. One approach requires that your voice plan has something like Verizon's Friends & Family, at&t's A List, T-Mobile myFaves, etc. Just be very careful setting this up. Adding your GV number to the list won't make your calls free by itself. Read the guides and make sure you're clear on the details.