• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice: My ticket to a $50 UNLIMITED Verizon plan?

paladaxar

Jul 1, 2009
So, all this talk about the up and coming Sholes/Droid on Verizon got me thinking...

Someone recently posted that the VZ data plan will be $30 on top of whatever voice plan you get. Then, it's $45 if you want to include exchange, and $50 for the "data only" plan.

Well...I just happen to use this wonderful little dealio called Google Voice which, as (most of) you know, uses "data only".

Does anyone think that with GV we can get away with paying only $50/mo to have UNLIMITED calling, texting and browsing? That would be...well...almost too good to be true.

Anyone have any thoughts/debunks to add to this?

There are three ways to use the service for calling: call your GV number and use certain keys to call a number via your GV number; or use the GV mobile client to have your phone use GV (in essence, GV calls a number with tones to accomplish the same as above); or have your phone called by initiating a call via the GV website. In each case, the voice call is made from your handset to the third party.

Upvote 0
Still uses voice minutes...bummer! I thought GV was a voip. But as you guys explained, it's still making a call to a third party.

So, that means that my "Unlimited" plan will cost me $89.99/mo ($59.99 for the cheapest voice plan that includes "friends and family" and $30 for the data plan). Still not too bad. Unlimited minutes, texting, data and GPS on VZ's amazing network for $90 (before employee discounts :)).

I'm sold :)

Thanks for the clarification everyone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones