• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice, new number?

Not sure exactly what you are referencing, but in general you can choose to have a Google Voice account with either your existing number (mobile, not sure about landline) or you can get a Google Number - hence the new number.

Alternatively, after you have a Google Voice account and Google Number you can change your Google Number to a new Google Number, but there is a fee involved.

Again, you were not very specific in your question.

Upvote 0
Using a Google number vs. a non-Google number : Basics - Google Voice Help

That should help somewhat. Having and using a Google Voice number will allow you to enjoy all the benefits of Google Voice if you so choose. I personally went with one, since you can always not use it. Your existing number will still work and everything.
Well how do I allow myself to use Google Voice as my SMS and not my phone? Sending and receiving messages is free with Google Voice right?

Upvote 0
Well how do I allow myself to use Google Voice as my SMS and not my phone? Sending and receiving messages is free with Google Voice right?

Yes it is. But you have to have a Google Voice number to use it. And you have to tell your contacts to send it to your Google Voice number, otherwise, they will just go straight to your phone.

Upvote 0
I actually just signed up a few minutes ago for a new number. The way i understand it, is that if someone dials my google number, the call will be forward to the line(s) i specify it to. In this case i have it forwarding to my cell phone.....the whole reason i did this is so i can get the free sms and eventually lower my texting bill with Verizon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones