Google Voice, new number?General

Last Updated:

1. xAusTiN

xAusTiN Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What does it mean getting a new google number?

Advertisement
  2. dbzeris

dbzeris Active Member

Not sure exactly what you are referencing, but in general you can choose to have a Google Voice account with either your existing number (mobile, not sure about landline) or you can get a Google Number - hence the new number.

Alternatively, after you have a Google Voice account and Google Number you can change your Google Number to a new Google Number, but there is a fee involved.

Again, you were not very specific in your question.

3. reidd

reidd Member

I think he is asking what the benefits are of having a new number, which I am curious as well. I found something through searching but it wasn't specific and didn't really tell the benefits.

4. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

5. xAusTiN

xAusTiN Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well how do I allow myself to use Google Voice as my SMS and not my phone? Sending and receiving messages is free with Google Voice right?

6. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Yes it is. But you have to have a Google Voice number to use it. And you have to tell your contacts to send it to your Google Voice number, otherwise, they will just go straight to your phone.

7. Nabraham

Nabraham Well-Known Member

I actually just signed up a few minutes ago for a new number. The way i understand it, is that if someone dials my google number, the call will be forward to the line(s) i specify it to. In this case i have it forwarding to my cell phone.....the whole reason i did this is so i can get the free sms and eventually lower my texting bill with Verizon.