Google Voice-No friends and family

Last Updated:

1. mocan55

mocan55 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi! I am new and recently bought the moto droid. I love it!!! Ok I just got a google voice account and set it up. I do not have a friends and family plan. I have a $39.99 package with unlimited data($29.99). So is there a way using google voice and sipdroid or something else to make and recieve free calls or do you have to have the friends and family? I have read a couple links that people have provided about setting up sipdroid and I am completely lost. I am not that websavvy and I"m sorry :) If anyone could help I would really appreciate it!!!
    Thanks!!!

Advertisement
  2. dakster

dakster Well-Known Member

Fring is easier to setup than sipdroid. Grab a free phone number from sipgate (sipgate one plan I think its called, incoming calls are free), and setup fring sip with your sipgate login details.

Add your sipgate number to your google voice account. When initiating a call from the google voice web interface, you can tell it where to call you. Use your sipgate number, and make sure you have fring fired up on your android phone.

BTW, to activate your sipgate number it'll call you and you have to enter a code on teh dialpad. Fring doesn't have a dialpad, so you'll have to use a PC and some sip software to activate the free number. I think they have one you can download for free from sipgate if I recall.

Works just fine over 3G or wifi. I don't use it often though. As long as google voice is calling your sipgate number to initiate the call, it'll be free.

Hope that helps.

3. mocan55

Thank you so much for responding back so quickly. I will try to do this now and let you know how it works out for me!! Thanks again!:)

4. mocan55

ok please bear with me.....i've got the sipgate account and phone number...I'm now trying to setup with fring.....where do i find the proxy address?

5. mocan55

Ok i think the proxy address would be sipgate.com

Now when i go into fring and put my username password and proxy it says that it is not right. I'm assuming that i'm putting my username in wrong. I tried to go into the sipgate account and look under settings but it just has ....xxxxx@hotmail.com as my username....is this what I am supposed to put into fring??? I know I know this is probably very basic so please don't laugh at me....i'm really trying!! My husband is usually here to help me but is deployed right now so I've having to learn this by myself....Also I installed this x-lite program on my pc is that what i'm going to use to call sipdroid?? And where do I find mmy pin?
    Thanks for any help!!!

6. mocan55

anyone??? Please!!:(

7. dakster

I believe sipgate.com is the correct proxy for the sip account setup in fring. The email login is correct, just make sure you put in the same password you use to login to the sipgate website.

Once that's setup, and fring is started (you can click on the "add-ons" in fring, and make sure SIP is checked), you can call your sipgate number and if everything is working, then your fring app on your android phone will ring.

Once that's working, you want to go into your google voice account, click settings, and Phones click the "Add another phone" part, and add your sipgate phone number on there.

To initiate a google voice call with fring from your android phone, go to the google voice website in your android browser, click settings, and click the "My Mobile Number" at the bottom. Change the "My Mobile Number" to your sipgate number, and click save.

Go back to the inbox in google voice, and when you do a quick call, or call someone from your contacts in there, it will ring your sipgate number to connect you. You answer the sipgate call in fring, and then google calls the other number to connect you.

Since the call to your sipgate number is technically incoming (incoming from google), it's free.

8. dakster

Oh, and btw you won't be calling sipdroid or anythign like that. Fring is an alternate to sipdroid, although it's pretty basic. You won't need sipdroid installed at all to use fring/sipgate/googlevoice to make calls.

It's a bit confusing :)

Hopefully later this year google will release native sip compatibility, and a couple of these steps will be removed, but for the time being this is probably the easiest way to get voip working.

Let me know how it turns out.

Good luck!

9. mocan55

I must be doing something wrong..everytime i try to add sip to fring with the username and password and proxy it says "failed to subscribe you to SIP Please try again".......ahhhh i've tried the user id without the "@hotmail.com" and nothing seems to allow me to login

10. dakster

Try going to the sipgate website, and logging in. Whatever username/email and password you use on the website that works, that should also be the username and password for the sip account login I believe.

This is assuming you're already logged into fring, and you're adding a sip account. The fring login is separate, but I think that's automagically setup when you startup fring for the first time on your android phone.

11. mocan55

so i went sigate.com , logged out and logged in with my email and password. Went to fring, logged in and then went to add ons,checked sip,used email for user id and password and sigate.com for proxy and same thing happened.....i don't get it. I don't need to put www.sipgate.com do I? Because I'm just putting sipgate.com for the proxy??

12. dakster

Doh. I'm sorry. I just tried re-doing my sipgate account in fring, and it DOESN'T use your email and password from the website. There's a separate username and password. To find out what that is, log into the sipgate website again (sorry!), and click the settings link.

On the right side below the "+Voip Phone", "+Landline" etc stuff is a link that says "SIP Credentials"

Click on the "SIP Credentials" and it will give you a popup window with the username, password, and proxy to use.

Try that and see if that doesn't fix you up. I forgot about that.

I'm sure that will get you going just fine.

One thing to note, fring is a little buggy. I've seen a few times that after using it, my phone volume was kinda screwy, but a reboot fixes it. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon, and hopefully they'll add speakerphone, bluetooth, and dialpad support. But for now it's working ok for receiving phone calls from google voice.

13. mocan55

ok i will try that....i uninstalled fring and I'm reinstalling it because I thought maybe something was wrong with it. I will let you know how it works....thanks so much for taking the time to tell me all of this!!

14. mocan55

ok that finally worked!!! Woo hoo~!!! Ok now please don't get frustrated with me quite yet :eek:. ...I have google voice up and sipgate(on my pc). ON google voice under settings and phone should I only have my sipgate number listed there or my cell phone number also? I think If i had a better understanding of exactly what google voice and sipgate are doing this wouldn't be so difficult but this is where I really don't "get it"....so like I said please don't be frustrated quite yet....i will "get it". I promise!!;)

15. dakster

You can have as many numbers listed in your google voice account as you want. The functionality of that is two fold. When someone calls your google voice number, it will forward to one, or more, of those numbers (you can change which numbers it forwards to under settings).

The second functionality of listing all these phone numbers in google voice, is if you're establishing a phonecall from withing the google voice website (either from a PC, or the mobile version that shows up in your android browser) which number google voice will call you at, before it connects the call you're making.

In the PC version of the google voice website, when you click the "Call" button, it prompts you with what number to call, and also where it should call you. In the drop down box for where google voice should call you, you'll have your phone numbers you've setup in your google voice account (like your cellphone number, and your sipgate number).

When you're using the mobile version of the google voice website, you can still initiate a call, but you don't get the drop down box of where google voice will call you. You change that number by going to settings, and selecting "My Mobile Number".

So basically what happens is that you tell google voice through the website who you want to call, and where to call you at. It will call you first, and when you pick up and answer, google voice will then call the other party and connect the two calls. You technically didn't make an outgoing call, google voice called you. That way, when you're having google voice call your sipgate number (and you're logged into a sip client like fring, or x-lite, or whatever sip client you want to use for your sipgate account), it counts as an incoming call, and is therefore completely free :)

That help at all? I'm not a voip/SIP expert by any means, but hopefully that helps a little. Don't hesitate to ask questions, that's what the forums are for!

16. mocan55

ok so I would have Google voice to setup to call sipgate and then sipgate setup to call my cell phone???
    Now do I go thru fring to make calls?

and do I give people my new google voice number to call me or do they call my cell phone number?

17. dakster

Also, I should clarify the "free" part. By having google voice call you, sipgate won't charge you anything.

However, google voice will charge you for the call. Google voice is free to calls within the US, and Canada I think, but if you're making overseas calls they do charge you, although it's very cheap.

Here's the list of rates for calling overseas with google voice:
    International calling rates : International calls - Google Voice Help

It's very reasonable, and as an added bonus, it doesn't use minutes from your cellphone plan if you're having google voice call your sipgate number.

18. dakster

You don't setup sipgate to call your cellphone. You receive the sipgate call on your cellphone using the fring app, or on your PC using X-Lite. If you want people to be able to call you using your sipgate account, you can either forward your google voice number to your sipgate number, or give them your sipgate number directly. Probably easier to give them your google voice number and have it forward to your sipgate number.

Then just make sure you have fring setup with your sipgate account, and configured to run all the time. In the fring app settings there's an option to automatically startup fring on yoru phone, so it's always running. That way you'll have your sipgate client running to receive calls to your sipgate number, or your google voice number if you've forwarded it to your sipgate number.

19. gentlefury

gentlefury Well-Known Member

just pay the extra $20 a month and get friends and family, put your gvoice number and the 850 number into your list and tell everyone to forget your old number you will have unlimited calling.

20. timlitw

timlitw Well-Known Member

it doesn't integrate complertely but if you have your contacts sync with google, here is somehting that works, open the google voice web page in your phones browser click contacts and then save it as a shortcut, then you can open that click your contacts number and click call or sms.

21. mocan55

ok i went into google voice and forwarded the google voice to my sipgate phone number. I called my google voice number from my home phone. It rang and rang and then went to google voice. So what does it sound like I might be doing wrong?

22. dakster

It sounds like you weren't logged into your sipgate account in either x-lite on your PC, or in fring on your phone. If you're logged on with a sip client to your sipgate account, the call should ring in.

23. mocan55

OK now what happened when I CALLED my google voice number:

the little sipgate phone application on my pc first rang and then my droid rang but it didn't ring on fring, just like a normal call coming in....is that what is supposed to happen?

24. dakster

Sounds like you have your google voice number forwarding to both your cellphone # and your sipgate # at the same time.

25. mocan55

ok i went to sipgate and made sure it was setup right....here is what i did:
    i went into phones in sipgate and made my cell phone inactive and the voip active....it now rings on my cell phone when i call my google voice number from the home phone. It starts ringing with fring sip. I answer the call and it says if i would like to connect press 1. Well there is no keypad....