• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice-No friends and family

I never added anything like that to my sipgate account, definitely never added my cellphone number. The only numbers I have under my settings is my sipgate number, and the extension 10 (which was automatically setup, I didn't do that).

Under routing I have two entries, extension 10, and my sipgate number. For extension 10 it's selected as: "VoIP phones Phone of David Kirkpatrick"

and for my sipgate number it's selected as: "all 1 phones"

Perhaps something in those settings got messed up when you added more numbers/phones?

Upvote 0
The " it says if i would like to connect press 1" I believe is coming from google voice, it is the call presentation. It can be turned off in settings for numbers you already have in contacts, and can be left on for blocked or unknown. Basically what it does, is makes unknown/blocked callers say their name, which you can then review before answering the call, all they hear is ringing while you decide.

Upvote 0
Hmm, I haven't really used this much so far. I was planning on using it overseas to catch up on voicemails. Anyone out there who's used both fring and sipdroid as sip clients who can tell us if this delay occurs on sipdroid too? I've never found a comparison between the two sip apps. I wanted to avoid setting up sipdroid myself since fring was easier, and I figure google is coming out with their voip this year so I wouldn't have to use fring long.

Upvote 0
I haven't fiddled with it much, but you can setup a sipgate account in sipdroid very easily. Skip all the part about pbx.org or whatever it is, and setup the username, password, and server as sipgate.com in the SIP settings, and check the protocal to UDP and it seems to register and login to the sipgate account.

I'm still fiddling with this, but it was pretty easy to setup. Hopefully it works better than fring.

Upvote 0
When I first got my droid, I was able to use the GUAVA app and I think I achieved what the OP was looking for. However, GUAVA seems to not be working anymore. Has anyone used GUAVA to make calls recently? Or has Google's purchase of gizmo shut it down?

Google purchased gizmo5 and shut it down to new users. Google has stated that they'll be releasing voip capability for google voice sometime in 2010, which should make doing this voip/sip calling on android MUCH easier than it is now. Hopefully it's early 2010 :)

Upvote 0
Ok, I've verified that entering your sipgate login stuff directly into the sip account settings in sipdroid works. There is still some delay, but I'm not sure if it's more or less than when using fring. Sipdroid has some nice features over fring, it has speakerphone, mute, hold, and a dialpad. You may want to try using sipdroid and see if you like it better than Fring.

I ignored all the howto's on sipdroid stating to set it up through pbxes.org or whatever it is, and used this for my sip account settings in sipdroid:

Assuming you're using sipgate.com as your SIP provider:
Username: The username sipgate gives you when you click on SIP credentials on their website when you're logged in
Password: The password sipgate gives you when you click on SIP credentials on their website when you're logged in
Server: sipgate.com
Domain: (left empty)
Port: 5060
Protocol: UDP

Using TCP didn't seem to work for me, but UDP does.

Give it a try and see if that isn't better than fring.

And I second Jestexmans opinion, for someone supposedly not web savy, this is a helluva thing to get setup :)

Upvote 0
So I've fiddled with using sipdroid instead, and the delay seems to be rather reasonable. I think fring is proxying the sip stuff, so that probably adds some delay into the equation. When you setup sipdroid to go directly to sipgate, you should be cutting out that middleman so to speak.

The volume is rather low in the headset, but using speakerphone is nice and loud [EDIT] (turning the media volume all the way up once on a call solves the low volume problem). Sipdroid also logs into the sipgate account almost instantaneously, whereas fring seems to take a long time.

Also I used the version of sipdroid off the market, which I thought didn't allow for 3G voip calls, but it 3G calls seem to be working just fine, so I guess they changed that. Although I'm not initiating any calls from within sipdroid, I'm using google voice to connect, so I'm only technically receiving calls.

Think I'll just use sipdroid for now on with my sipgate/google voice account, at least until google releases there own voip service.

Upvote 0
i actually tried sipdroid yesterday, as well, hoping that it was better. it seemed slightly better than fring, but the delay still made having a regular conversation infeasible (my test victims could only stand talking for a minute or two). maybe it was 3 or 4 seconds delay instead of 5. i will test today at work to see if it's actually any shorter.

i do agree that the sipdroid interface is much nicer.

to fix low volume: in sipdroid go to Settings > Advanced Options > Earpiece Gain, and adjust there. i didn't actually try this, but it seems logical that would make it louder (i also noticed it was quiet).

maybe i'll try looking into that pbx thing...

Upvote 0
GREAT stuff guys! I think I will try the sipdroid method too, I did not like the fring program too much.

Have you guys tried to make this work with the native Google Voice app? I don't think it's possible to make the GV->SIP->destination number route work because when you call out using your GV number it's using the google routing number first.

I will try the GV app (third-party app in the market) and see if the call back feature can be used to keep the free calling method in tact. (So far no luck).

I guess it's not a big deal to go to the Google Voice through the web-browser to make a phone call, but I'm lazy and would love to just have it automated like the native Google Voice app.

Wonder if we can somehow change that "middleman" routing number to our sipgate number within the native GV app?

Upvote 0
ok i just did some benchmarking. i measured 2 delays for each call. one is the delay from when i spoke on my cell until the person on the other end hears me (Cell-to-phone delay). the other is the delay from when the person on the other end talks until I hear it on my cell (phone-tocell delay). note that in this test i just called my office phone, so i could get very accurate measurements. these aren't estimates from a conversation with another person.

this is over 3G, i realize i should probably repeat this test for WiFi, since that is a more likely scenario.

fring
cell-to-phone: 1 sec
phone-to-cell: 4 sec
total delay: 5 sec

sipdroid
cell-to-phone: 1 sec
phone-to-cell: 1 sec
total delay: 2 sec

as you can see, sipdroid is significantly better. 2 seconds of total delay is still enough to make conversation pretty awkward, however. i think it would have to be sub-second to really be acceptable. as long as you use this sparingly (say, only while traveling) and warn people what's going on, i think it will be ok.

Upvote 0
For someone not that web savvy ;) you kicked this one in the a$$!!

Good job!

Thanks! I almost gave up last night but I kept going because I knew that I needed to learn this stuff myself and try to understand it! It was hard and I'm still kinda confused but I'm just so happy that I was able to get it to work......lots of thanks to "dakster"........he was so patient and kind!! Thanks;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones