Google voice not working 2.2

Last Updated:

1. mills23

mills23 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Google voice won't work on my 2.2. I set it up but when I call it gives me a verizon error. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. smpage

smpage Well-Known Member

that's interesting, works just fine on mine. Try deleting and reinstalling.

3. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Well-Known Member

I had that for a few hours last week it turned out to be a carrier problem on the way nothing in the app itself it cleared up after a few hours for me. Not sure if its the same deal as what you are getting but sounds similar.

4. mills23

Now I got it to text but I still get that verizon error when I call his cell from or land line.

5. StrifeJester

Yeah that is exactly what mine was doing. I learned later that day since I work in a call center that there was a carrier outage. It must have been between me and the number google voice uses to connect the calls. I am willing to bet this is the same for you since texts use data and not the standard voice lines.

mills23 likes this.
  6. mills23

My gv # has the same area code as his and mine is still working just fine. When someone calls my regular cell # they get my gv mail and it comes to me in a email. Thats supposed to do that right?

7. StrifeJester

If thats how you have it setup that is correct. I went through and tweaked most of the settings for GV since the droid has the App like getting texts sent to the app and phone things like that. You should still also be getting you GV mail on the app though since that is through the data connection when it syncs every so many minutes.

8. mills23

well i just called his gv number and he answered it so that is working to. For some reason it just won't go to his gv mail.

9. mills23

Thanks everybody! i got it, i think.

10. StrifeJester

I think the reason is probably how they forward. When you call a google voice number it goes to a switch and then is technically forwarded to his cell. When it goes to his google voice voice-mail it is forwarded somewhere in the big old google data-center. So if the local switch that it goes to, which from the phone you can see the number it dials to get to the handling switch. That connection may be fine but somewhere between there and the data-center there may be a problem.