• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Voice not working?

bpw

Oct 27, 2008
A couple of days ago I received my invitation to sign up for Google Voice and did. I downloaded the Google Voice app from Android Market and installed it. I've yet to be able to successfully place a call using Google Voice (the call ends immediately), but calls go through when not using it.

Another issue I'm facing is the call log and caller ID (phone number, etc.) show only "Unknown" for all incoming and outgoing calls, even for people in my Contacts.

I have uninstalled GV a couple of times, but the call log and phone numbers still don't show up, whether or not GV is installed. The only thing I can use is my contacts to dial their numbers.

What's going on, and how do I fix it?

This may be a silly question, but did you accept the invitation and register online from a PC before installing the Google Voice app on your mobile? During the registration you get to choose your new Google Voice phone number, etc.

I had downloaded the GV app from the Market before receiving the invitation.

I have more than one Gmail accounts and used one different from the one on my phone to register for GV. But that shouldn't matter, since I'm using a different phone number for GV to display. FWIW I also registered for the second GV account using the phone's Gmail address.

I uninstalled the GV app on the phone and reinstalled, to no avail. I've rebooted the phone a few times as well, no luck, still no phone numbers appearing when someone calls, let alone showing the name if the caller is in my contacts.

Here's the setup:
Gmail address #1 (address1@gmail.com) - not used on phone
GV account #1 (phone number 222-333-4444) routed to G1 phone number

Gmail address #2 (address2@gmail.com) - used on G1 phone
GV account #2 (phone number 555-666-7777) routed to home phone number, used on G1 phone if calling using GV

I've a hunch I'm going to have to wipe the machine and start from scratch but hope not.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Upvote 0
Here's the setup:
Gmail address #1 (address1@gmail.com) - not used on phone
GV account #1 (phone number 222-333-4444) routed to G1 phone number

Gmail address #2 (address2@gmail.com) - used on G1 phone
GV account #2 (phone number 555-666-7777) routed to home phone number, used on G1 phone if calling using GV

It sounds like GV#1 is pointed to your cell but not set up to use for calls. Then GV#2 is not pointed to your cell but set up for calling on your cell. I don't think Google anticipated this. To eliminate complexity, you may want to try working with just one Google Voice number and get that working first. For example GV#1 is already linked to your G1, use that one for outbound calls in the GV app running on your G1. Good luck. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones