Google Voice Notification TrickTips

1. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

I found a work around to get Google Voice notifications. I'm assuming that everyone that wants to use Google Voice are using it via the browser as I am. I have created a shortcut using BetterCut for Google Voice.

Next, download Google Voice Unread Count. When you install it on your home screen it will show you how many voice/text messages you have. The only problem is if you tap it, since you don't have the Google Voice app on your Xoom yet, it will fail. When I see I have missed messages, I hit my shortcut to Google Voice on my home screen.

Hope that helps. :cool:

Advertisement
    :
    whippintegra likes this.
  2. whippintegra

whippintegra Well-Known Member

I use Google voice daily on my phone for business but I have never figured out how to use it on my computer or on the xoom via browser, when I type in the number and hit connect by google voice it just times out. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?
  3. Cincybearcatfan

No. When I open the browser I go to www.google.com/voice I them log in with my google account and it opens. Try going to that web address and log in.
  4. whippintegra

Yep thats what i am using on my computer and i tried it on the xoom, both say "calling you" but nothing happens then it times out.
  5. Cincybearcatfan

I've never seen that before. Anyone else experienced this?
  6. Cincybearcatfan

I got Google Voice installed on my Xoom, but it won't set up. I searched the .apk on Google, found it, it installed. When I go to set it up, it force closes. NOW when I hit my Google Voice Unread Count icon, it opens Google Voice, but it's not set up. Grrr. There's got to be a fix for this somewhere right?
  7. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

google have not officially released it for honey. there is a thread on the google forums that shows a google employee stating google is working on it.
  8. Cincybearcatfan

I know that, but it doesn't keep me from trying to find work arounds. As I stated above, I'm using the web version with an icon/bookmark on my desktop and now with the GV notify widget, I know when I have messages. I just keep trying to tinker with the GV app itself to get it to work. I figure within a short while someone, Google or otherwise will get it working.
  9. PaulG1488

PaulG1488 Well-Known Member

sideload the apk attached then do the following to get the app working on your xoom

Log in to google voice via browser and add your tablet's number which can be found in Settings>About Tablet>Status. It will try to verify from your browser, but just hang up.Then open google voice app on your xoom and go through the setup it won't even ask you for your xoom's number because it already knows it and you can move on to your inbox. After everything is setup, go back to your browser and delete the xoom number that isn't verified. Voila the app still works for text.

Attached Files:

Cincybearcatfan likes this.
  10. Cincybearcatfan

The file above doesn't open. The gv app I have force closes when I hit next.
  11. PaulG1488

PaulG1488 Well-Known Member

What error do you get?
  12. 2jzgze

2jzgze Active Member

this worked perfectly...the only thing is that it does not automatically sync...you can only have it poll during certain intervals...

did anyone figure out how to make it automatically sync?
  13. Cincybearcatfan

Got it to work by uninstalling, rebooting, then reinstalling. Thanks!
  14. Maddingo

Maddingo Well-Known Member

Does this work through your regular cell number or the Xoom phone number? In other words, can I send a text to my Xoom via the Xoom's phone number?
  15. Cincybearcatfan

No mine sent from my GV number. Remember, set up for the Xoom in GV can't complete BC when it calls your Xoom, nothing happens so you can't enter the confirmation code.
  16. whippintegra

What brouser are you using? i still cant get it to work :( :mad:
  17. Cincybearcatfan

I use the stock browser. I don't use the method I mentioned in the OP anymore. Now that I have a working GV app, I'm using it. Also with the GV Notification icon I listed, I can tap it and it opens the app for me. It shows me how many voice and text messages I have. It does not PUSH them but it does poll every 15 minutes.
    Psychokitty likes this.
  18. whippintegra

Man I feel so dumb!! I can not get this to work and it is driving me crazy!
  19. whippintegra

Sorry I am a bit of a newbie how do you sideload? I installed AndroidCentral Sideload Machiene and followed all the steps and this is what i get.......

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    Android Central Sideload Wonder Machine v. 1.1
    Make sure your phone is plugged in, and
    USB debugging is enabled on your phone
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

List of devices attached

You should see the serial number of your Android
    phone above. If so, continue. If not, make sure
    you have installed the USB driver for your phone,
    and make sure that USB debugging is enabled.

Press any key to continue . . .
    Installing application

error: device not found

If you do not see an error, everything was
    successful. After exiting the program,
    you may unplug your Android phone and
    your application should be installed.
    You will now be returned to the Android
    Central Sideload Wonder Machine and can
    install another app if you wish.
    Press any key to continue . . .
  20. whippintegra

Yahhh Hoooo! I got it... sort of. I got the GV program installed and can send and receive texts and see VM etc. I just cant send and receive calls.
  21. RickInHouston

RickInHouston Well-Known Member

Does the text message also go to your phone once it is set up on the Xoom?

With Google Voice installed on your phone, to listen to a voicemail, do you open google voice and bypass the voicemail app that came pre-installed?

How will this all change, or will it, when Sprint allows you to use your cell number as your google voice number?

Google Voice
  22. Cincybearcatfan

Yes the text message goes to both my phone and Xoom. Any device that has been set up in GV will receive the text and voice messages. I open the GV app to listen to voice messages and read texts. I really can't speak to Sprint because I'm VZW but I couldn't imagine it doing anything really to change how it works now. The number you use doesn't effect their product. Number selection is a minor piece to how GV works.
  23. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

Its an absolute disgrace that my lady can use google voice on her ipad2 but I cannot on my zoom.. epic failure on Google's behalf
  24. Cincybearcatfan

Its working fine on my Xoom. Agreed a Google product should work on a Google interface out of the box but Honeycomb is a completely new platform whereas iPad 2 is not. Therefore it should run the apps that worked on iPad without problem. They've had it for a year and Honeycomb is a few months old.t
  25. whippintegra

You can send and receive calls on your xoom?